• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cherry smoked deer heart

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
This is my favorite method for a deer heart,trim the majority of the fat off.

IMG_1009.JPG

Roll in any rub you desire, I used a Weber hot/sweet rub after rubbing with olive oil .
IMG_1010.JPG

Smoked in cherry wood chips at 225*-250* for close to 4 hours
IMG_1011.JPG

I usually have one or two hot slices and then let cool for a cheese/cracker combo but I ate 1/2 of it right out of the smoker with a cold beer ,delicious !!! Thanks for looking. CM
IMG_1012.JPG

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Best meat on a deer, mmmmmm!
Dammit man, I can almost taste it.

Last edited:

checkdude

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2016
Darn looks good,! No deer this year but I bet I could use beef. It's worth a try. Will be smoking pork hocks on Sunday so 1 beef heart will go on after. Just have to decide on a rub.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Looks good. What IT did you take it to?

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Looks juicy!! I’ve never tried deer heart or any heart for that matter. What’s its taste and texture like?

doongie

Joined Dec 3, 2015
I did one last year, turned out excellent. Haven’t yet tried beef or pork like I wanted to. Looking forward to another one or two hearts this season.

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
Looks good. What IT did you take it to?
Adam, I quit using a probe as I was missing the meat and putting it in the chamber and getting false readings.Some hearts I do around 3 hours at 250 and they are medium rare ,this one was about four and is medium.

Looks juicy!! I’ve never tried deer heart or any heart for that matter. What’s its taste and texture like?
JC, The higher the temp and the longer it is in the smoker will make the outside a bit chewy but the middle is like a good steak. The whole heart is delicious.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Awesome Looking Deer Heart, CM!!!
Nice Job!
Like.
We always tried to consume the Heart the night of the Kill, or as close as Possible.
Unless of course some Non-Thinking Daniel Boone blew the heart into pieces!!!

Bear

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Never had one, but it sure looks good!!!!!
Al

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.