Cherry smoked deer heart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
This is my favorite method for a deer heart,trim the majority of the fat off.

IMG_1009.JPG

Roll in any rub you desire, I used a Weber hot/sweet rub after rubbing with olive oil .
IMG_1010.JPG

Smoked in cherry wood chips at 225*-250* for close to 4 hours
IMG_1011.JPG

I usually have one or two hot slices and then let cool for a cheese/cracker combo but I ate 1/2 of it right out of the smoker with a cold beer ,delicious !!! Thanks for looking. CM
IMG_1012.JPG

Darn looks good,! No deer this year but I bet I could use beef. It's worth a try. Will be smoking pork hocks on Sunday so 1 beef heart will go on after. Just have to decide on a rub.

Reactions: crazymoon
I did one last year, turned out excellent. Haven’t yet tried beef or pork like I wanted to. Looking forward to another one or two hearts this season.

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks good. What IT did you take it to?
Adam, I quit using a probe as I was missing the meat and putting it in the chamber and getting false readings.Some hearts I do around 3 hours at 250 and they are medium rare ,this one was about four and is medium.

Looks juicy!! I’ve never tried deer heart or any heart for that matter. What’s its taste and texture like?
JC, The higher the temp and the longer it is in the smoker will make the outside a bit chewy but the middle is like a good steak. The whole heart is delicious.

Awesome Looking Deer Heart, CM!!!
Nice Job!
Like.
We always tried to consume the Heart the night of the Kill, or as close as Possible.
Unless of course some Non-Thinking Daniel Boone blew the heart into pieces!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky