Checking in from Tinker Air Force Base

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SittingElf

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2018
New to Oklahoma, and will be here for two, possibly three years. Wife is the new Medical Group Commander on Tinker AFB, and we live in Command Housing on the base.
I've been a BBQ'er for years, but am somewhat new to smoking. I'm mostly interested in cold smoking and am a long-time sous vide fanatic. I cold smoke with A-Maze-N products in my Char-Broil Tru-Infrared Double Header grill. Still learning!
Looking forward to cooler weather (Currently September) so that I can cold smoke salmon filets and cheeses.
Great forum here with lots of helpful information.
463245518_commercial-double-header-4b-tru-ir-gas-grill_002_1.png.pagespeed.ce.FNWLS-NoJs.png

ColdSmoke.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
Welcome to the forum!! As halfsmoked said, lots of great people here with tons of experience to help you along. Don't be afraid to ask questions and use that search function!!

Welcome to SMF!
I like how you elevated your meat (Tri-Tip?) to smoke it.
I sans'd my gas grill because I felt it was too ventilated to do the smoking I wanted to do.
I'll smoke in my MES 30, then finish in my Char-Broil.
I'm doing a batch of Smoked Salmon today. It's been brineing overnight.

Reactions: SittingElf
Welcome to SMF!
I like how you elevated your meat (Tri-Tip?) to smoke it.
I sans'd my gas grill because I felt it was too ventilated to do the smoking I wanted to do.
I'll smoke in my MES 30, then finish in my Char-Broil.
I'm doing a batch of Smoked Salmon today. It's been brineing overnight.

Yup, Tri-Tip. That "elevator" is a dryer shoe rack that we never used! Never throw anything away! Sooner or later, it will find a purpose! :)

Reactions: SonnyE
Welcome aboard, happy to have ya join. Allot of members here cold smoke all sorts of things.

Chris

Welcome to SMF! Those TTs have my mouth watering. And while I'm talking about my mouth watering.....

Have you ever noticed how the mention of one word or place brings back a great memory you haven't thought of in years, or longer? You mentioned Tinker AFB and WHAM, a memory came slamming back.

Decades ago there used to be a 24 hour "geedunk" on the flight line at Tinker. Geedunk was/is a Navy term for a snack bar. That geedunk had the BEST burgers called "Tinker Burgers."

I was a Navy pilot, and my A-7E could make it to Tinker from the West Coast in one leg. If anyone mentioned Tinker Burgers in the ready room, mouths would start watering. Before you know it, someone had an excuse to fly east, and stop at Tinker!

Best of luck to you and your wife at Tinker. Thank you both for your service! (and the fun memory).

Ray

Welcome to SMF!
I do a lot of cold smoking in the winter, which is about 3 months, but if you have any questions just put them out there and someone will answer you almost right away. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on here to help you with just about anything!
Al

Welcome, from Edmond, Oklahoma. There is a pretty good BBQ equipment and supply store on north May ave in OKC, just north of Memorial rd., named Everything Barbecue, if Amazon doesn't suffice.

Welcome from Oklahoma City and a long time member of this forum. Great people and great advice. I started smoking using the AMAZEN AMNPS in my Weber grill with duct tape on the back to seal the grill. I graduated to a MES 40 Electric Smoker and have become a smoking fanatic. I cold smoke cheese and cured Salmon to make Lox using Alder pellets from the Amazen Products. The Lox is excellent from the mild Alder pellets and makes great Lox and Bagel sandwiches. I just started Sous Vide cooking and the results so far are excellent. Beef short ribs Sous Vide for 14 hours and then smoked with Hickory pellets for 6 hours at 225 were extremely tender and had a great bark and smoke flavor. A chuck roast Sous Vide for 30 hours and then seared on the grill was as tender and flavorful as a good steak!!! Look forward to hearing about your results. Also for a really great burger try Nic`s on NW 12th and Penn. Be prepared to wait in line and check his hours of operation.
mds51

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky