Cheap Meats!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneyb72

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 11, 2014
Ran to my local Tops grocery store this morning and was happy to find some great deals on some meat! And since it was 50 and sunny, I grabbed some to smoke right away. I picked up 2 big turkeys for $6 each ($0.49/lb) and 4 pork tenderloins (1.5 lb each) for $4 each.

I brought it all home, spatchcocked the turkeys, rubbed it all down, and threw it all in the smoker.

Everything came out great for a last minute, late season smoke session!

I used to go to the grocer every Friday or Saturday after TG to stock up on cheap turkeys and other items that were overstocked. Thanks for the reminder. Might have to swing by on Monday just to see what's available.

Also, this is the first time I’ve smoked turkey without brining first. But the weather was perfect and I decided to just throw them on right away.
They turned out great. The breast is moist and delicious. It’s not as smoky as I’d like...but that’s part of pellet smoking. I did, however, run an Amaz-N tube with peach and pecan pellets the whole time.

Also, this is the first time I’ve smoked turkey without brining first. But the weather was perfect and I decided to just throw them on right away.
They turned out great. The breast is moist and delicious. It’s not as smoky as I’d like...but that’s part of pellet smoking. I did, however, run an Amaz-N tube with peach and pecan pellets the whole time.

Try some Hickory in the Amazing Tube, for more Smoke Flavor.

Bear

You know Bear, I’m trying to remember if I filled the tube with Peach/Pecan or Hickory. I’m looking in the garage and the Hickory bucket is on top. So it may have been that!
And it is good, just not quite as smoky as other things I have done this same way.

You know Bear, I’m trying to remember if I filled the tube with Peach/Pecan or Hickory. I’m looking in the garage and the Hickory bucket is on top. So it may have been that!
And it is good, just not quite as smoky as other things I have done this same way.

Hmmm, I get my best Smoke from Hickory.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky