Charcoal Sales?!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sam's Club in the Detroit area has Kingsford blue bag ( 2 20lb bags) for $16.98

Last edited:
The cost of charcoal production is between $6 and $14 per ton. That's 1/3 to 2/3's of a CENT per pound of charcoal.

The cheapest prices per pound right now are running roughly 38 cents per pound, or 54 to 127 times the cost of production. Granted, there's cost associated with packaging, delivery, storage, and point of sale, but I still like to save money so I can spend the savings on something fun.

Prior to the turd of year 2020, sales were common in the 19 to 25 cents per pound range starting in the spring, then again on MD, July 4th, and LD. 40 lbs of HD Embers sold for $7.98 to $9.98 on sale, or 20 to 25 cents per pound. I'd stock up.

Buying one 2-pak at full price is no big deal. Buying 10-12 2-paks, the savings would buy me some new BBQ accessory, sharpening stone, or cooking toy!

Reactions: bigfurmn
Just a heads up on the Embers 2 paks at Home Depot that is currently on sale (2x20lbs bags for $14.98). There is one lot/version that is horrible. Smells overwhelmingly like match light, but doesn't say that it is.

I bought a 2 pak at one Home Depot on Saturday. I used it mixed half and half with some lump on my gravity fed and it worked great. I did some ribs on Sunday, then a pork shoulder on Tuesday. They both turned out fantastic. So when I was out and about yesterday I stopped at a different Home Depot since I was driving right by it, and bought 4 more 2 paks. Loaded it up in the van and stopped to shop at another store for an hour or so. By the time we got back the van reeked of chemical(Match light maybe?). Had more stops to make and wasn't able to go back to HD. Took it home and unloaded it in the garage. Went out after work this afternoon and the garage reeked of it. Thinking maybe i was crazy/missed the previous bag smelling i checked it. It had no scent/smell at all. If you smelled the bag it smelled like a paper bag. Opened a bag of the new stuff and the chemical smell is almost overwhelming. I was not going to risk using it and ruining several hundred $ worth of meat this weekend so I took it back. I was able to return it with no issues at all. Not sure how we missed it when buying it (Maybe the masks we were wearing). I would definitely give it a sniff before buying it. It should be easy to tell.

No sales to be seen.
Local box store stopped carrying RO and changed to Oklahoma Joe's brand 18# bags. Appears to be the same as RO
I've been getting the Walmart charcoal waiting on the spring sale. Also appears to be RO

Hmmm. Not seeing any sales on charcoal NOR tires.
And gas is going up.
Oh well, at least I have a job, a home, and my health.

Reactions: bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky