Charcoal question for temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
I’ve been using my 24” Kingsford charcoal grill to smoke. I Set it up for indirect heat. I’ve been using about 70 charcoals to start with then ad about 10 every hour. and I’m trying to use a digital thermometer can’t remember the brand to check my grill temp. And I’m pretty sure it’s too hot to start and keep around 225. I’m ordering a maverick digital thermometer after reading a bit in the site. But my grill is just a 24” I know all grills are different but when I light the charcoals it reads around 325 but isnt very consistent. I don’t feel like much heat is coming out of the vent. From your guys personal experience is 70 coals too many to light at first to get around 225*. Trying to find a better way to light them might try the snake method next time but it’s a rectangle grill and not that big so kinda hard to get it right so far. I want to get a little better at smoking before I spend money on an actual smoker. I’m gonna heat some water to a boil and get a cup of ice water to check the thermometer. But like I said it’s a meant for the meet so I don’t think I can trust it much

Attachments

• D601FA75-A340-4CA7-866C-CBC219ACD1DE.jpeg
    D601FA75-A340-4CA7-866C-CBC219ACD1DE.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 35
  • FDB86EDA-9B90-4212-96BF-5F53A9EFE918.jpeg
    FDB86EDA-9B90-4212-96BF-5F53A9EFE918.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 32
If I understand you correctly you are lighting 70 coals to start with.
If that's the case then you are lighting way too many for a grill that size.
I would try 70 UNLIT coals, with about 15 lit coals on top of the unlit coals.
This should get you to around 225 & it should burn for hours without adding any more coals.
Here is a photo of what I'm talking about.
Minion method 4.jpeg

Hope this helps, and yes get a good thermometer.

Al

Al is right on. 70 lit coals should put you in the 325F or higher range. I have a different set up than yours (vertical, not horizontal), but for 225F, using a different charcoal, I only use 8-10 lit coals on a bed of cold ones.

Until your Maverick arrives, go to the grocery store and pick up an inexpensive oven shelf thermometer, like the picture below. They cost like $5 or something like that. Next time you smoke, put the thermometer on the grate next to the meat. The thing about your grill is that the heat will rise from fire, flow along the lid, and out the exhaust. You may have a 100-150F temp difference between the top of your grill and your grate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky