Char-Griller Smokin Pro with firebox- Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I decided to try the smoking thing, but did not want to dive headfirst in to it until I had some idea of what it was all about or if I would even like doing.  I did lot of reading, including great info here, and had an epiphany - so I bought a Char Griller Side Fire Box (SFB) 2424 . I figured it would let me smoke at least a brisket,   pork butt, and possible a small slab of ribs and a few chicken thighs   - one at a time. I also decided it needed a few mods.  I decided the grills were lower than I wanted them, so I modified the inside by raising the sides 1 1.2 inches, added a couple of removable heat deflectors heat deflectors and had a nice looking small smoker with room for a water pan and a chip box. I bought an inexpensive grill thermometer, calibrated it by  placing it in boiling water (it was close enough to leave it alone), then mounted it just above grill height (food level) with the thermometer oriented so 200 degrees was straight up so I could monitor the temp at a distance with just a glance. My first smoking attempt, a brisket, was, in the end, an acceptable shakedown run. There were a few leaks I plugged with aluminum foil, and I even did a quick refuel with lit charcoal and chips. I was pleased with how well the thermometer worked, progress checking and the myriad of details with my first time  smoking something. I later ordered some FDA approved food-safe high temp silicon and sealed around the lid and a couple other small places there were leaks. From my second run, I ended up using our gas grill with some ribs which proved too big for the smoker. I  used an inexpensive grill-top surface thermometer. In both attempts, I used a generic dry rub recipe with  a couple additions, some generic BBQ sauces during the last 20 minutes So final analysis: I am hooked! Smoking is work, but fun work, and the end result is worth the time and effort. The ribs were great. The brisket was edible. Okay - the brisket - I followed a general cooking time based on weight formula and cooked it longer than I should have. It was a little dried out, but  everyone said in spite of an incredibly thick bark (you know what I really  mean) the meat itself was delicious, just a little dry.  I must add that to keep the cost down, I used a couple gift cards, so my out of pocket expenses was about six dollars for the smoker and all the mods.  

Next up is another brisket, with the sealed leaks and a Redi Chek 73 for better temp monitoring. I am looking forward to a few more shake down runs and then smoking on a regular basis!

how many of yalls paint bubbled off from first day of use? I seasoned it very well

inside and out! I guess ill just steel brush it and spray some rustoleum on it?
mine did on the SFB, even after applying Rustoleum rated for 1200 degrees.  Apparently the bubbling and peeling is normal

any body uses the grillgrates flameless grates on the gas side of their pit? debating on getting some

another question, on smoking briskets, do yall put temp probe horizontally or vertically to check temps?

I need a little help.  Does anyone know what I can use, or where I can buy something to control the heat in my smoker better.  I tried making a makeshift tuning plate out of foil but that prevented a lot of heat from even getting into the chamber.  I am wanting to cook a whole pig but the SFB area is way hotter than the chimney side.  I know this is a known problem, I just need a fix to this, so that I can get fairly even HIGH heats and smoke throughout.  Thank you.

BTW - There is a little bit of heat escaping from the gap between the plate and the side of the chamber. I fill a small disposable bread loaf tray with apple juice and place it next to the gap on top of the plate but underneath the grill. Works great!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/58778/char-griller-smokin-pro-with-firebox-mods/400#post_1154207

^ my original set of mods ^. sad to say that it has taken me a year to get back to the smoker to do anything more to it. we have 5 kids (2-15 years old) as well as I started a new job shortly after my first post. at any rate, here's the few other things i've done:

1) replaced the plastic wheels with some all metal ones, swapped them off a another smoker my brother in law had and was selling. it raised the right side up about 5/8" so in order to level out the left side i used a few pieces of threaded pvc inserted into the legs then bolted though the legs to hold it in place. it gives me the ability to have adjustable legs on the left side now (no pics)

2) used some big green egg replacement gasket on the lid of the main chamber, just wrapped around the lip to seal the front as it didn't have much of a gap (no pics)

3) added a latch on the lid of the side fire box so now it keeps the lid fairly tight. i'd like to find a nice high temp gasket to line the area around the lid to finish of that seal

4) got a piece of 1/8" thick, 1/2" wide steel flat stock and drilled a few holes through it and the rear of the lid. then got a piece of high-ish temp food grade tubing from a home brew supply store then slit it lengthwise. i sandwiched one side of the tubing in between the outside of the rear lid and the new steel flat stock. it locks the tubing in place to now act as a flexible rubber gasket for the backside of the lid

Nice, Looks Great    
points1.png

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky