Char-Griller Smokin Pro 830 with side firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey guys,
Does anyone have a photo of the tuning plates that you are speeking of. I am not sure what they should look like or how they are placed in the smoker. I used to work in a machine shop for 6 years so if I can get a picture or better information on how they are placed I will bw able to make one of my own with no problem.
Thanks;
Shane

This should let you see what I did for the sfb modification.

grate0iu.jpg

If you are unable to come up with one solid piece, I am sure you could just lay 2 smaller ones in and do the same thing. This is a very easy mod to do. And it make a BIG difference.

Bill

I'm also trying to get some more info on these mods, I have a silver smoker. I'm confused on where the baffles go, in the fire box? From the picture it is hard to tell. The fire grate in my smoker is not that high. Do the baffles go under the fire grate? Also, what are people using to extend the chimney ino the cooking chamber? Thanks.

Weekendsmoke, welcome to SMF. Check out this LINK and see what others have done. It talks about baffles and extending the stack into the chamber.

Take a moment and stop by Roll Call and introduce yourself.

Thanks!

Thanks Earl! Most of the info on that link is for flipping the pan, my model doesn't have this. I was looking for info on the tuning plates or baffles.

Gotacha- Somewhere here someone posted an uplink to a .pdf file that had a pattern for a baffle that mounted on the bolts that connected the offset to the chamber. I'm not have successful hunt in tracking it down. Someone here might know where it's at. (It might be in the stick burner's forums)

Look around for sales.... I just found another one, yes, I bought another one, just the main chamber for $64.99....... sure beats Lowe's prices.... A buddy of mine got the last sfb for $12.99 a week before I got my main chamber. Now to find a sfb on sale...

This is the time of year to keep looking and grab when you find it.

Bill

I myself have not. But on another forum I am on, it was done. He said it was great to keep temps even and even used a metal can to put wood chips in above it. He had pics of it and it looked relatevly simple. He got his as a "kit" and if interested, I will see if I can find him and get the link for you....

Bill

I looked at it finally myself. Doesn't look too bad for the price. I think it would do a good job. I am thinking of maybe one myself for my second CG....

Why let a few of them snowflakes stop you.... I have cook lots of times with that stuff..... Q is good all year, not like a LOT of people think... only good from memorial day to labor day....

Bill

Hey guys. I've been reading about extending the smoke stack down to the grill level, but I noticed that the warming rack is in the way. Has any of you done this, and if so, did you just remove the warming rack, or is there some other solution?

This is not meant to be a bump but whatever. Here is the mod of making the stack come down to the grate level on a Char-griller. Just buy a 3 1/2" flex dyer tub and attach it to the lids stack with a clamp. You won't have to remove your warming rack if you don't want to.
f0038141_vbattach12573.jpg

I have that same flexible tubing on mine. I also have a charcoal basket made of expanded steel. The baffle thing looke interesting. It's a good smoker with a few simple mods.

Thanks, Beerivore. Actually, I did that a few months ago (after my post), and it has been wonderful. I extended it to the center of the cooking chamber. It has done wonders for helping to maintain heat inside the chamber.

I also added some furnace sealer (its a cord that looks like nylon rope, but is heat resistant) around the edges to keep the heat from running out the gaps.

I've gotten some really good smokes with that (and a few more mods).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky