1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Char broil electric.. missing the ring!

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by JulezHotHandz, May 11, 2018.

1. JulezHotHandz

JulezHotHandz Newbie

Hey ya'll!
    Well, after spending way too much on a charbroil electric, I'm now smoking pork loins and briskets regularly.. only problem is, any kind of smoke ring is nearly non existent. I'm getting bark, no ring. Im really not a fan of these electric char broils.. but I want to be..There's no way to control the smoke flow and the preburn is hit and miss. I'd like to know if anyone else is getting great results and how to get it right. I'm using hunks and pellets,I've tried with and without some liquid in the water dish and my smokers can do up to 400 in heat. And as low as 125 for a cold smoke. The preburn is 45 minutes long and I'm doing a probe cook with a forced stall at 200 for 45 min and then a hot finish before the wrap. Thank you

SonnyE likes this.
  2. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Not gonna get a smoke ring with an electric smoker.

Scott

3. TulsaJeff

TulsaJeff Smoke Whisperer Staff Member Administrator OTBS Member

I don't have this particular smoker but in general, you won't get a smoke ring on an electric smoker. The smoke ring really has nothing to do with flavor and everything to do with chemicals/gases from combustion reacting with the pigments in the meat and causing them to "set" in their pinkish/red state instead of changing to grayish/brown after cooking.

To get more smoke flavor and to make it even easier for you, I recommend an A-Maze-N smoker tray or tube. This is a device that holds pellets and once you light it, it just sits on the grate and produces smoke for 6-11 hours depending on the model and how you set it up.

A-maze-N Pellet Tray
    A-maze-N Pellet Tube (takes up less space)

Sounds like your electric smoker does great where the cooking is concerned and creating a good bark.

JulezHotHandz likes this.
  4. JulezHotHandz

JulezHotHandz Newbie

The Meat is amazing.. I'm not competing so the ring isn't a necessity. Thanks for your advice and that pellet tray and tube look great!

5. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I never have smoked for appearance. I've always smoked because I love the taste.
    And almost always with electric.

Recently I decided to "modernize", and try joining the 21st century. But basically divided my new smoker into an outdoor Smoker Oven, with a separate way to control the smoke. Not use the Smoker/oven as built.
    I have a MES 30 (Masterbuilt Electric Smoker). Built my own form of a Mailbox Mod. Added a Bypass Mode for external heat control with an Inkbird Controller. And a stack for better draw during cold smoking below 100° F.
    So I basically bought a container with a digital heat control. Then modified the heck out of it.

According to the Ad writers, My soldering iron qualifies to be called a smoker because it smokes.

As long as you enjoy the Taste you get, don't fuss to much about appearances. :)

6. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Someone mention rings?

:D

Have fun!