Ceramic Tile as a baffle/tuning plate...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

medic92

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 19, 2014
Mount Sterling, IL
I recently saw a YouTube video (aren't they great?) where the person used ceramic tile for a baffle and tuning plates.  He said they worked well for him.  Has anyone else tried this?  Ceramic tiles are a lot less expensive than metal, but I worry about the glaze and paint they use on the tiles.

Also, did you know radio equipment is actually mentioned in the bible?  God took a rib from Adam and made a loudspeaker...

I was going to try it at one time but just haven't gotten around to it yet!
I see Menards has a box of 4"x4" tile with tiny holes in them and you get like 12 in a box for about 20.00 if memory serves. I
I have a diamond bit and was going to try to make something similar with regular tile.
I would like to know the results if you try them or if they can be used!

I used a pizza stone in my cimerron offset. It worked pretty good because it was round like the cooking chamber and didnt shut of too much airflow. I Propped it up on the bottom so the gap around it was all similiar.

Right now I'm just using two cheap aluminum pans together as a baffle.  If I ever get around to dropping by my parent's house they've got some furnace bricks I can have to line the bottom of the smoker for heat retention.  It's a crying shame I'm so lazy.

Married men live an average of ten years longer than single men.  Married men are also a lot more willing to die by then.

I use ceramic tiles in my bbq to make it an oven.  If you can find unglazed tiles you would be ahead as sometimes the glazed tiles crack due to the heat expansion differences from one side to the other.  Your furnace bricks would be perfect.

Un-glazed Quarry Tile is about as cheap as you get and work great. I have used them in 500°F Ovens to bake bread on and in my smoker as a baffle and heat sink...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky