Central Florida Butcher?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maloff28

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Can anyone suggest a good place to get beef and pork in the Orlando area? Tough to get brisket from publix. SAMs and Costco seem to have supply issues. Any Recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

I have not tried them.  I am on the other side of town, near Disney.  Have heard of petty's but was hoping not to have to go all the way to longwood.  May have to make the journey though.  Thank you for the suggestions.

I have heard good things about Pettys.  Cavalarri's Good quality but you will pay for it.  Expensive..

I use Hopkins in Sanford.  Very reasonable price great meat all around...

Does Cavalarris sell briskets and meats that have not been stuffed or mixed? Anytime I have been in there they always have stuffed chicken, sausages, chicken, steak, and shrimp kabobs and other kinds of "pre-assembled" meats, but I haven't seen any "raw" or "untouched" meats. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, I always get way to excited when I go in there!

Does Cavalarris sell briskets and meats that have not been stuffed or mixed? Anytime I have been in there they always have stuffed chicken, sausages, chicken, steak, and shrimp kabobs and other kinds of "pre-assembled" meats, but I haven't seen any "raw" or "untouched" meats. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, I always get way to excited when I go in there!

From my understanding, yes. There's a few forum members on another board that get USDA Prime steaks for $13/lb, USDA Prime briskets for $3-4/lb, etc.

I haven't been there, since it's a bit further than I'd like to travel. But here it's a very good place for meat.

One good reason to go to Petty's, they have free beer! I will admit I have not been to their market in a while but I always thought that the cold keg and stack of cups in the back of the store was a nice touch. Other than going there, I usually have no trouble finding something good at Costco, Sams, or BJ's. As a matter of fact, I was at Costco's over in Altamonte Springs the other day and they had a large selection of fresh brisket and baby backs from their inhouse butcher not the shipped in vacuum sealed stuff they usualy offer (looked nice). I also live in Central Florida and now that I own a new smoker, I will look around for other butchers and report back.

Thank you dvdslw!  Nice to hear from another person in the area.  I did end up at petty's for a brisket i did last month. Went to Walmart, Costco (south orlando) public, and Sams.  Not one had a packer cut!  On top of that petty's was $5 per lb!  Seems high compared to other folks i talk to around the country.

Brisket turned out great BTW.

I'm also in Apopka, FL and just got a new smoker.   Any updates on finding the best places to buy meats around Central Florida? 

Crazy the meat and produce prices here in Florida. When i hear what people on here from the midwest and texas pay for their beef etc., it makes my blood pressure go up.[emoji]128545[/emoji]

Yes, I'm originally from Michigan.  What it costs here compared to back home is crazy.  I got a beef brisket from Publix yesterday and it turned out great, but then again I'm still new to smoking.   

PapaCurtis and EBabcock, don't get me started... I've got a buddy outside of St. Louis who tells me he pays less than $2 a pound for Angus brisket!!! It would be cheaper for me to have him buy it, and ship it FedEx on dry ice than to buy locally!  I paid $3.79 a pound for a 17 lb packer from Petty's in Longwood.  That seems to be the only place that I can find whole packers.  I live on the southwest side of town, so it is almost 2 hrs round trip for me to go there.

I guess there is another place in Winter Park, but when I checked they were $5-7/lb.

Maybe we are missing an opportunity and should open up a shop!

Seth

I may be commenting on a dead thread, but.. I called Petty's and a whole packer is $5.59 a pound. 

I found pork butt's for $1.39 a pound at Mater's and Tater's in Apopka (might just be on special this week). 

Looking to try Choice Meats in Winter Garden. I hear they carry whole packer briskets. 

There is an IGA in Sorrento that does meat bundles. I have not tried them but hear good things. No briskets though. 

Thanks for the heads up!

I see that this your first post, so welcome to SMF!

Would you do us a favor & swing over to roll call & introduce yourself, so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome.

Thanks,

Al

Thank you. I used to do them for passover too, but have given up. They have become very expensive for what used to be an inexpensive cut of meat. I was able to do a rib roast for almost the same price!

Unfortunately I am on the other side of town. It is an hour each way to Petty's! I have a membership at Restaurant Depot, but have not tried their meat yet.

Walmart sells Choice packers for $1.69 per pound here in Sebring.

I would think their other FL stores would be about the same, except for over on the coast.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky