Caveman Steak on Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Alton Brown has a good eats episode on fajitas, and he cooks the steak that way . I get the idea, , just not for me .

When I was a kid in my 20's I worked on an asphalt crew. repaving driveways, parking lots & streets.
For lunch we would all bring some kind of dish that was wrapped up in aluminum foil. My favorite was hamburger, onions, peppers & provolone cheese. Around lunch time we would bury the foil packs in the hot asphalt & in about 30 minutes we would be eating some good food. Those are the days that I still remember, crazy, huh!
Al

Alright, since we're talking about the old days:

When I was a Kid (LONG Long Time ago), The oldest 3 of us kids would go Camping with our parents.
We'd have a big wood fire going, and cut sticks to hold hot dogs over the fire.
If your hot dog fell in the fire & got ashes all over it, you had to eat it anyway.
I didn't care for that kind of seasoning, so I would not make my Steaks that way.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Bears that's what I thought about also . Ate many a hotdog out of the camp fire coals . That or don't eat .

When I was a kid in my 20's I worked on an asphalt crew. repaving driveways, parking lots & streets.
For lunch we would all bring some kind of dish that was wrapped up in aluminum foil. My favorite was hamburger, onions, peppers & provolone cheese. Around lunch time we would bury the foil packs in the hot asphalt & in about 30 minutes we would be eating some good food. Those are the days that I still remember, crazy, huh!
Al

Al, we did the same thing when I was a construction rigger in the Houston refineries back in the 70s, only we put our foil wrapped lunches directly on the manifold of the crane's diesel engine. Also heated up cans of sardines that way, especially liked the ones with mustard sauce. Guess you'd call that post-modern day caveman cooking :D

Before we took microwaves on the job site , we used to use a cardboard box with a 500 watt halogen light and some r-19 thrown over the top . worked for re-heating left overs .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky