Catering event question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Yesterday I smoked some loins and shoulders for pulled for a high school graduation party. The party was for my oldest and best friends son, we have been best friends for 40 years, so the deal was they only paid for the meat and I would cover everything else that goes into getting the meat done. At the party I was approached by the parents of another student about doing loins and shoulders for their sons party in 2 weeks they are expecting 500 people. My question is what is a fair amount to charge for this? My plan is to just charge them for the actual raw meat price, I am not looking to take advantage of anyone on this, and just charge actual price on rub and pellets and all the other expenses. But what is my time and use of my equipment worth? Again I just want to be fair to them and be fair to myself. Sorry for the long post and greatly appreciate any and all advice anyone has.

wow 500 lbs of meat, that's a big smoke you must have a big smoker your looking at 15 hours or so smoke time depending on the smoker so figure 30+ pounds of pellets if its a pellet smoker ,a med size bag or bottle of rub $10 you may need 4-6, mustard to slather 2-3 bottles , disposable pans a couple hours to pull , round it off to 20 hours counting pu meat . what ever $ you make at your regular job plus supplies would be fair and 1/2 the cost of a outfit that does that for a living imo

Reactions: JC in GB
I think and again this is my personal opinion. Add up your cost of meat, spices and fuel (charcoal or wood) Then add 10% For a moderate fair price,

Warren

I think and again this is my personal opinion. Add up your cost of meat, spices and fuel (charcoal or wood) Then add 10% For a moderate fair price,

Warren
Warren, so are you saying double the cost of meat, spices, fuel and double plus 10%?

Greatly appreciate the replies so far definitely giving me something to think about and a good starting point.

wow 500 lbs of meat, that's a big smoke you must have a big smoker your looking at 15 hours or so smoke time depending on the smoker so figure 30+ pounds of pellets if its a pellet smoker ,a med size bag or bottle of rub $10 you may need 4-6, mustard to slather 2-3 bottles , disposable pans a couple hours to pull , round it off to 20 hours counting pu meat . what ever $ you make at your regular job plus supplies would be fair and 1/2 the cost of a outfit that does that for a living imo
Mike 500 people not 500lbs but I appreciate your quick response and the info you replied. I have a lot to think about in a short amount of time.

How many shoulders/butts will you smoker hold.
Feeding 500 people is a big undertaking...You will also need help.

How many shoulders/butts will you smoker hold.
Feeding 500 people is a big undertaking...You will also need help.
Between the 3 smokers I can get 20-22 shoulders on. Only be cooking shoulders for half the other half will pork loins so a much shorter cook time. My plan on the past graduation party I did went about like this. Friday 4:30pm shoulders on they finished at 5:30 Saturday morning. At 7am Saturday loins went on and finished a little after noon. When the loins finished I pulled all the pork and then started slicing loins. Then delivered around 3pm.

I figured @ 6 ounces you would need 32 butts. But I'm not sure how much the pork loin would subtract from that total.
Are you doing any sides or only meat?
Just the meat alone would be a lot to worry about, including food safety.

Figure 35-45% loss on finished meat and its not far off good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky