Cassette tapes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am passionate about my Stereo Equipment. All my equipment I purchased while I in the Navy.
I have a Marantz 2270 receiver, Pioneer CT-F900 cassette deck, Technics SL1600 turntable, Pioneer RT1050 Reel to Reel, Marantz HD77 Speakers. My main usage come from my Reel to Reel and Cassettes, You can't beat analog!!!

Reactions: JLeonard
When I get the chance to do stuff like this I like to sneak in good covers of classic stuff. There were some GREAT hair metal covers. I still remember my Dad telling me Pretty Woman was a Roy Orbison song NOT Van Halen. Forced me to look at the label!

• Love
Been scouring EBay.....Getting her a nice mix off there. Thanks for the replies folks!

Jim
I have an extensive library of live shows (over 20,000). Shoot me a message with a few bands and I can put up some links to download some shows. Not really the genre I record myself ( I was at the Willie Nelson 90th birthday bash all weekend) but I know others who record the current gigs and I have lots from the 60's, 70's, 80's and more recent.

Most, if not all available on EBay can be found for free.

Motley Crue 2000-08-07 Saratoga Springs NY Daud M 16-48 https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/5l6lT9XFEd

Last edited:
About the only one I've got left. Lot of memories.
IMG_20230501_194404.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230501_194651.jpg
    IMG_20230501_194651.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 5
I, for one, was happy when CD's replaced cassettes. I had too many of them eaten by the players. It was like, "Well, there goes $12."

Loved this line in Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, after Peter's Cassette Walkman was destroyed:
Kraglin: One of the guys found this. I think it came from Earth.
Peter: What is it?
Kraglin: It's called a Zune. Supposed to hold like, 140 songs.
Peter: 140??? Whoa!!!

• Haha
Loved this line in Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, after Peter's Cassette Walkman was destroyed:
Kraglin: One of the guys found this. I think it came from Earth.
Peter: What is it?
Kraglin: It's called a Zune. Supposed to hold like, 140 songs.
Peter: 140??? Whoa!!!
Reminds me of the first Computer hard drive I bought.
Paid $1100 for and it was a whopping 500MB.
Thought that capacity would last me forever. Hahahahahahahahaha

• Haha
500MB? Wow you had a big one. My first had a 40MB harddrive with 2MB worth of ram. Window was not around yet so it was all DOS. I believe it took 12 - 5 1/4 flobby disc to load up. lol
At my job in college in a bank we bought one of the first PC external hard drives. $8000 in 1983 dollars for a 20 mb drive. That would be a $24000 drive today. On a similar note whenwe recorded concerts on cassette a typical show would cost $7 to $8 on cassette, then using the first digital technology it was $30 for two professional grade Beta tapes. With DAT was down to $24 and now with SD cards it $2 to $3. The recorders are also way cheaper. Sony TCD-5M was about $500, the Sony PCM-F1/SL2000 was $3,000, the Panasonic DAT SV-250 was $2,500 new and the Tsacam recorders I use now are under $200. Same microphones as back then in use at about the same price due to changes in the dollar vs Euro/Deutchmark conversion rates.

Reactions: JLeonard and PPG1
I had an Atari 800 PC, back in the early 80's, with a whopping 128 bytes of RAM, with another 8 KB of memory on cartridges. Coincidentally, it used cassette tapes to load programs, as floppy disks had not come out yet. Sometimes they took up to an hour to load. And man, was it a b***h when the tapes got eaten or messed up. There goes your game or program; $$ down the drain.
Also had a phone cradle to connect with other computers, but that proved to be cumbersome and not worthwhile if you had to call long-distance.

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky