Cassette tapes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
My 13yo grand daughter has gotten into the music of the hard rock hair bands. One of her favorites is Motley Crue. Although she listens to a lot of the same genre of music. Lesa and I got a portable cassette player with head phones for her. I think that the show "Stranger Things" has a lot of influence on this. I'm not complaining, the music takes me back to high school. But its had to find cassettes now a days.
Which brings me to my question.....How many of you folks got cassettes shoved into the back of the closet or forgotten in the basement? Would you be willing to sell them? If so, I'd pay a fair price and pay for shipping.

Jim

Reactions: bigfurmn
Waylon ? Lol . I just launched a bunch . There was a Heart 8 track in there too .
I did recently dust of my cassette deck from an old system . They're making a come back .
I'll take another look today if I think about it Jim .

Reactions: JLeonard
Not sure if we have any or not either Jim. Get her a pencil too! :emoji_blush:
And don't go head banging... it wouldn't be the same.

Ryan

• Haha
I'm old enough (like some of you other geezers, lol) to have lived through 5 major music recording format technologies: vinyl, 8-track, cassette, compact disc, and digital download/streaming. There was a time when I probably had over a hundred cassettes. Really wish I'd hung onto them...but when CDs started taking over, I slowly got rid of all of them. And since streaming and digital downloading has made CDS obsolete, I've gotten rid of most of those CDs now too!

But hair band metal was never really my cup of tea. Other than maybe one Bon Jovi tape, and maybe one Guns n Roses tape, I don't think I ever owned any music from that particular genre. My "sweet spot" was generally about a decade earlier: Eagles, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Foreigner, Heart, etc.

It's very cool that your granddaughter is getting into the same music you grew up listening to Jim! I hope you're able to find her lots of cassettes from those days!

Red

Oh man! I'll look around when Im home again! Jake's recommendation is what I was initially going to say, but you can also find them at thrift stores, our local Goodwill has a large cassette and VHS collection. I'll take a peek in there to see next time.

So cool your granddaughter is into the 80s hair bands, it reminds me of when my Dad was so excited my friends and I were into Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and 50s rock. I suppose it validates the taste of our youth!

I probably still have a few somewhere in the basement. When CDs came out I switched over to that format. My daughter copied all of my CDs onto a hard-drive or thumb-stick so she can enjoy them. She really likes the late 60s and 70s music. My tastes started with folk rock and stopped at Def Leppard era. Heavily influenced by Van Halen and Triumph.

Chris

I also remember peaking out the window watching all my sisters friends sunning themselves in the backyard. Using the double album covers covered in aluminum foil to reflect the sun.

Memories

I have a box of cassette's and some of my favorite LP's still put away. I will proplably never listen to again just hard to part with them.

Right from old country to Alice Cooper and most in between, I have a thumb drivein the work truck that has everything on it Black Sabbath, Conway to Alice Cooper the Quite room to Bad Company
Just about everything except Opera, lol

David

Stranger Things totally caused this. My youngest is APE for Metallica for same reason. I have LOADS of tapes somewhere but mostly a s*** ton of mix tapes. There is a TON of unheard good hair metal bands. IMO a virtually unknown band basically perfected the style. Cheap Trick had a good hair/pop metal phase. There is sorta of hair metal resurgence now complete with the satanic theme (which is tongue in cheek IMO).

Been scouring EBay.....Getting her a nice mix off there. Thanks for the replies folks!

Jim

Reactions: TH-n-PA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky