Casing help, 1 timer to stuff sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jno51

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Wichita Falls, TX
Ok men my questione is what type of casing should I use to stuff sticks, bratts, and summer sausage. I will be using venison, and would like to smoke it. This first time I will probably make 10# batches of each. Your help is greatly appretiated. "UP IN SMOKE" from Texas.

For the snack sticks I would recommend a 19mm - 22mm collagen casing.

I like to use 32-35mm natural hog casings for brats but you can use something smaller.

For the summer sausage you will want a fibrous casing.

I would use fresh casings for the brats and collagen for the sticks and  and summer sausage...... there are edible collagen and inedible... I would use the inedible for the SS.. Here's a link to butcher packer... They have a great selection....

http://www.butcher-packer.com/

Good luck and happy smoking

Joe

Ok, I got it, had to read my notes. way to much to take in, in a short period. The oh stuffer will be in monday. I am trying get it all lined out so I can hit the "GROUND" running. thanks a million for all the help. chim in if you can offer any advice to this nubie.

Joe when you say fresh what are you referring to. I get the collagen part.

Sorry... I meant natural casings... do a search on them here and you will get a lot of great info.....

Good luck and happy smokin

Joe

Reactions: jno51
Sticks i like 17 to 19mm

Keebasa 30 to 32mm

SS, Bologna type 2.5 or cloth bags.

icon_cool.gif

I to have to agree with everyone here on the casings.

For the snack sticks I would recommend a 19mm - 22mm collagen casing.

I like to use 32-35mm natural hog casings for brats but you can use something smaller.

For the summer sausage you will want a fibrous casing.
I would agree with solar and if you are going to cold smoke make sure you use a kit with cure or use a recipe with cure.  If you hot smoke should be ok either way fresh or cured. 

Again thanks to all for the help and information, never to much for sure. I rolled my first fatty yesterday morning and its going on the grill after church. I am in the process of cold smoking cheese this morning, got an early star about 5 am. The fatty was rolled out of venison with a few onions, jalapenos,and mushrooms, and pepper jack cheese inside. Have had a awesome weekend cooking, can't wait till the stuffer gets here, " UP IN SMOKE" thanks to all and have a great weekend.  (PICS TO COME IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO UPLOAD )  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky