Casing help, 1 timer to stuff sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by jno51, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

Ok men my questione is what type of casing should I use to stuff sticks, bratts, and summer sausage. I will be using venison, and would like to smoke it. This first time I will probably make 10# batches of each. Your help is greatly appretiated. "UP IN SMOKE" from Texas.

2. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

For the snack sticks I would recommend a 19mm - 22mm collagen casing.

I like to use 32-35mm natural hog casings for brats but you can use something smaller.

For the summer sausage you will want a fibrous casing.

3. dwolson

dwolson Fire Starter

Yes, what Solaryellow said.

I personally think that PS Seasonings has great kits for ven.  They also sell 10 lb kits.

jno51 likes this.
  4. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I would use fresh casings for the brats and collagen for the sticks and  and summer sausage...... there are edible collagen and inedible... I would use the inedible for the SS.. Here's a link to butcher packer... They have a great selection....

http://www.butcher-packer.com/

Good luck and happy smoking

Joe

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

6. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

Joe when you say fresh what are you referring to. I get the collagen part.

7. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

Ok, I got it, had to read my notes. way to much to take in, in a short period. The oh stuffer will be in monday. I am trying get it all lined out so I can hit the "GROUND" running. thanks a million for all the help. chim in if you can offer any advice to this nubie.

8. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

fpnmf, great infomation, thank you sir, have a great weekend

9. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Sorry... I meant natural casings... do a search on them here and you will get a lot of great info.....

Good luck and happy smokin

Joe

jno51 likes this.
  10. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sticks i like 17 to 19mm

Keebasa 30 to 32mm

SS, Bologna type 2.5 or cloth bags.

11. couger78

couger78 Smoking Fanatic

+1 on these numbers.

I've made kielbasa as large as 40mm, but prefer the 30-32mm.

—Kevin

12. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

I to have to agree with everyone here on the casings.

13. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I like to use the natural hog casings for brats and deer sausage. I also turn them inside out too.

dg

14. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I would agree with solar and if you are going to cold smoke make sure you use a kit with cure or use a recipe with cure.  If you hot smoke should be ok either way fresh or cured. 

15. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

Again thanks to all for the help and information, never to much for sure. I rolled my first fatty yesterday morning and its going on the grill after church. I am in the process of cold smoking cheese this morning, got an early star about 5 am. The fatty was rolled out of venison with a few onions, jalapenos,and mushrooms, and pepper jack cheese inside. Have had a awesome weekend cooking, can't wait till the stuffer gets here, " UP IN SMOKE" thanks to all and have a great weekend.  (PICS TO COME IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO UPLOAD )  

16. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

Killing a little time Sunday waiting on the oh stuffer to come in. [​IMG]

17. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

[​IMG]

18. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

[​IMG]

19. jno51

jno51 Smoking Fanatic

[​IMG]