Carpenter Bee Traps (UPGRADED)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bee Season Again!!

OK Guys---It's that time of the year again for those in the North.
It's getting warm enough to get these Carpenter Bees activated again, so if you have some traps, get them up there, and if you don't have any you can either buy some on the Internet, or make some for yourself. They're real easy to make if you follow my Step by Step at the beginning of this Thread.

I just put my 7 lower ones up today with a step ladder, and I'm waiting on one of Bear Jr's climbers to put the 4 high ones up---Maybe Tomorrow. They do that for me every year.
Then I'll be ready for another season.

ON EDIT: I got my 4 high ones put up under the Peaks the next day 4-24.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: gary s
I will definitely be making some of these over the next week or so. We have a ton of carpenter bees around our place, and they really like to chew on my shed out back. My one question I have, what size bit are you using to drill the 4x4 for the bottle cap? Also, can that be drilled with a hand drill, as I don't have a drill press at my disposal.

I will definitely be making some of these over the next week or so. We have a ton of carpenter bees around our place, and they really like to chew on my shed out back. My one question I have, what size bit are you using to drill the 4x4 for the bottle cap? Also, can that be drilled with a hand drill, as I don't have a drill press at my disposal.

I only looked at one of my Traps yesterday, and that one already has 4 Carpenter Bees in it. Been one a day over the last 4 days in that trap. That one is at the best position of all 11 of my traps.

The hole through the Bottle cap is 1", and the 3 entrance holes are 1/2".
The 3----1/2" holes all intersect within the top of the 1" bottom hole.
It doesn't have to be 1", but it should be at least bigger than the other 1/2" holes.

Note: The hole through my Caps is 1", but if your cap is smaller, you might have to go with a 3/4" hole.

I guess if you can hold a hand drill steady enough with those size drill bits, it would be OK to use a portable drill.
Harder to get the holes all to meet perfectly at the same place though.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: gary s
I just brought all my Traps down yesterday & did a count, so I figured I'd update the records:

2009-----------------Over 200 Carpenter Bees.
2010-----------------Over 200 Carpenter Bees.
2011-----------------140 Carpenter Bees.
2012-----------------105 Carpenter Bees.
2013-----------------51 Carpenter Bees.
2014-----------------49 Carpenter Bees.
2015-----------------74 Carpenter Bees.
2016-----------------65 Carpenter Bees.
2017-----------------56 Carpenter Bees.
2018-----------------78 Carpenter Bees.

Oh well, Numbers aren't going down every year, but they aren't going up much either.

Bear

Last edited:
I caught about 3 this year. I finally got around to making the traps, and suddenly all the carpenter bees just disappeared. It was really strange, they were all just gone. Now that I have them built, I'll be putting them up earlier next year in hopes of catching more.

I caught about 3 this year. I finally got around to making the traps, and suddenly all the carpenter bees just disappeared. It was really strange, they were all just gone. Now that I have them built, I'll be putting them up earlier next year in hopes of catching more.

I don't know when you put them up, but if they weren't up early enough they might have drilled their holes someplace & were starting their nests elsewhere.
I like to get mine up in Early April.

Bear

Time to put the Carpenter Bee Traps up again!!
I got my 7 Lower ones up on April 8, and my 4 High ones went up on April 10.
I'm ready for them now!!
If you have them & you live in the North, now is the time.
I'll give my 2019 report in November.

Bear

Mine are up, and I already noticed one in a trap already. I'm going to be taking a few over to my dad's house this year to put up as well.

I didn’t check mine yet.
It’s raining every time I think of it.
I usually check them when I mow, because if I’m not sitting when I look up, I get dizzy, and lose my balance.
It’s a PITA !!!

Bear

Bearcarver, Just wanted to say thanks for this info. These bees have been driving me nuts for a long time. Made 4 of your traps and wore these little suckers out. Thought for a while they weren't going to work, but I knocked a few bees down with a flyswatter and "baited" the traps. It was like a magnet. Thanks again.

That's Great !!
Beats the heck out of shooting them with a BB gun, although that can be fun!!

Bear

I just got all my Traps down yesterday & did a count, so I figured I'd update the records:

2009-----------------Over 200 Carpenter Bees.
2010-----------------Over 200 Carpenter Bees.
2011-----------------140 Carpenter Bees.
2012-----------------105 Carpenter Bees.
2013-----------------51 Carpenter Bees.
2014-----------------49 Carpenter Bees.
2015-----------------74 Carpenter Bees.
2016-----------------65 Carpenter Bees.
2017-----------------56 Carpenter Bees.
2018-----------------78 Carpenter Bees.
2019-----------------86 Carpenter Bees.
Oh well, Numbers are still staying under 100 caught per year, for the last 7 years.

Bear

Mine are up, and I already noticed one in a trap already. I'm going to be taking a few over to my dad's house this year to put up as well.

How did the Bee count go this year, JZ ?
Got them under control?

Bear

How did the Bee count go this year, JZ ?
Got them under control?

Bear
I didn't do a physical count, but I did catch a bunch. Also made traps for some neighbors that were seeing a lot of them. Of course I built the new stand for my smoker out of wood entirely, but didn't think to put a trap on it and they started to chew on that instead. I'll be more prepared next year for sure. The traps do work great though.

I didn't do a physical count, but I did catch a bunch. Also made traps for some neighbors that were seeing a lot of them. Of course I built the new stand for my smoker out of wood entirely, but didn't think to put a trap on it and they started to chew on that instead. I'll be more prepared next year for sure. The traps do work great though.

Sounds Good!!
Glad they're working for you!!

Bear

Bearcarver Bearcarver - Don't laugh, but I have good luck with a badminton racket. It's kind of gross and immensely satisfying at the same time. But this only works when I am grilling or smoking meats while I am on the deck.

Your traps look good against your log home and look like they will be more efficient than my badminton rackets haha.

Bearcarver Bearcarver - Don't laugh, but I have good luck with a badminton racket. It's kind of gross and immensely satisfying at the same time. But this only works when I am grilling or smoking meats while I am on the deck.

Your traps look good against your log home and look like they will be more efficient than my badminton rackets haha.

LOL--I keep one handy near my Grill, and one by my garage door.
Now, before I made these traps, before 2009, I used to get them 3 ways:
If they were below about 9', I'd get them with my Badminton Rackets.
If they were between 9' and 22' (the peak of my house) I'd shoot them with my Crossman BB gun. I'd only give it 5 pumps, so it wasn't too hard on my house wood.

And the third way was a prelude to my Bee Traps. I used to take two pieces of leftover Pine 2 X 12 material, and drill 8 or 10 holes halfway through at 1/2" diameter. Then I'd set them outside with the holes down on my wood rack. The Carpenter Bees used to fly under the boards & move into the holes & continue the drilling. When most of the holes were filled with Bees & Nests, I'd Slap the two board face to face, with the holes inward. Then I'd throw a couple drywall screws through them . Then se t it on my Burn Barrel and Burn the boards, nests & Bees all at once.

The Traps work better, but not as much fun.

Bear

Reactions: JZ_Focus

I used to kill them with the grain scoop while my daughter would brush and care for her horse years back. I'd hit them and they would fly 15' and I'd have to walk over and crush them while stunned or they would get back up and fly away. They are tough little bastages.

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky