1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Carpenter Bee Traps (UPGRADED)

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by Bearcarver, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Bee Season Again!!

OK Guys---It's that time of the year again for those in the North.
    It's getting warm enough to get these Carpenter Bees activated again, so if you have some traps, get them up there, and if you don't have any you can either buy some on the Internet, or make some for yourself. They're real easy to make if you follow my Step by Step at the beginning of this Thread.

I just put my 7 lower ones up today with a step ladder, and I'm waiting on one of Bear Jr's climbers to put the 4 high ones up---Maybe Tomorrow. They do that for me every year.
    Then I'll be ready for another season.

ON EDIT: I got my 4 high ones put up under the Peaks the next day 4-24.

Bear

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    gary s likes this.
  2. I will definitely be making some of these over the next week or so. We have a ton of carpenter bees around our place, and they really like to chew on my shed out back. My one question I have, what size bit are you using to drill the 4x4 for the bottle cap? Also, can that be drilled with a hand drill, as I don't have a drill press at my disposal.

3. Bearcarver

I only looked at one of my Traps yesterday, and that one already has 4 Carpenter Bees in it. Been one a day over the last 4 days in that trap. That one is at the best position of all 11 of my traps.

The hole through the Bottle cap is 1", and the 3 entrance holes are 1/2".
    The 3----1/2" holes all intersect within the top of the 1" bottom hole.
    It doesn't have to be 1", but it should be at least bigger than the other 1/2" holes.

Note: The hole through my Caps is 1", but if your cap is smaller, you might have to go with a 3/4" hole.

I guess if you can hold a hand drill steady enough with those size drill bits, it would be OK to use a portable drill.
    Harder to get the holes all to meet perfectly at the same place though.

Bear

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    gary s likes this.
  4. Good Info

Gary

5. Bearcarver

I just brought all my Traps down yesterday & did a count, so I figured I'd update the records:

2009-----------------Over 200 Carpenter Bees.
    2010-----------------Over 200 Carpenter Bees.
    2011-----------------140 Carpenter Bees.
    2012-----------------105 Carpenter Bees.
    2013-----------------51 Carpenter Bees.
    2014-----------------49 Carpenter Bees.
    2015-----------------74 Carpenter Bees.
    2016-----------------65 Carpenter Bees.
    2017-----------------56 Carpenter Bees.
    2018-----------------78 Carpenter Bees.

Oh well, Numbers aren't going down every year, but they aren't going up much either.

Bear

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  6. I caught about 3 this year. I finally got around to making the traps, and suddenly all the carpenter bees just disappeared. It was really strange, they were all just gone. Now that I have them built, I'll be putting them up earlier next year in hopes of catching more.

7. Bearcarver

I don't know when you put them up, but if they weren't up early enough they might have drilled their holes someplace & were starting their nests elsewhere.
    I like to get mine up in Early April.

Bear