Carpenter Bee Traps (UPGRADED)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Carpenter Bee Traps (UPGRADED)

Winter is a great time to make your Bee Traps!!

I thought I had posted this a long time ago, but I couldn't find it, so here it is.

Some of you saw my original "Carpenter Bee Trap" post.
I mentioned in that thread that the only problem I had found was that wasps build nests in the top section of those old traps.

Here is a link to that thread. That thread also has a lot more explanation about Carpenter Bees.

You can go to that thread through this link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106345/carpenter-bee-traps-work-great-update-june-15-2011

I mentioned in that thread that I was going to make the roof removable so I could clean the wasp nests out during the off-season. Since that, I found that if you use a solid piece of wood, instead of a "birdhouse" type trap, that the wasps won't have a place to build their nests inside.

I could have used Pressure treated wood, but I opted to use Cedar, because the color matched my Log House much better.
The only drawback is the expense. I paid $41 for an 8' long 4 X 4.
Not really that bad, because I got 18 traps out of that one 8' long piece.

My pictures & captions explain most of the building of the traps, but I'd be glad to answer any questions anyone has.

I hope this will help at least a few of you to get rid of your Carpenter Bees from your houses & buildings.

These sure have worked Great for me!

Thanks for looking,
Bear

Cedar 4" X 4" X 8'----marking for cutting:
DSC03810.jpg

Cut into 9 blocks (Note my waste on top of the stack):
DSC03815.jpg

Cut blocks in half at 30˚ for roof:
DSC03819.jpg

Drill bottom holes for bottle caps, to the depth of the bottle caps, with Forstner Bit:
DSC03820.jpg

Ready equal parts of "PC-7" epoxy (good stuff):
DSC03845.jpg

Epoxy all mixed up:
DSC03847.jpg

Scrape epoxy all the way around entrance of holes:
DSC03850.jpg

Shove bottle caps all the way to bottom of holes:
DSC03852.jpg

I did this to all 18 future traps:
DSC03856.jpg

Then I drilled a 1" hole through caps to a depth of 3" from bottom of the traps:
DSC03872.jpg

After drilling 1/2" holes on both sides & front to meet the 1" bottom hole at 3", I mounted double screw hangers:
DSC03864.jpg

18 Bee Traps being inspected by my Best Little Buddy:
DSC03878.jpg

Finished Upgraded Carpenter Bee Trap close-up:
DSC03879.jpg

These traps are not as ugly on my house as the original traps were:
DSC03885.jpg

This is one of the old ones, ready to be replaced.
They were just plain old rough cut skid pine (FREE WOOD):
DSC03887.jpg

Upgraded Hanger Holes:

OK guys, I had to upgrade my way of hanging these things. The little hanger tabs I put on these didn't hold up because after a couple years of weather the screws would pull out, so I went back to the way I did my old Bee Traps. I used the "Keyhole Router Bit". These work Great.
When I made these upgraded traps, I originally put the little metal hangers on, so it would be easy for the guys to hang them way up top, but since those didn't work so good, I went back to the Keyhole cutter. The guy that hung the top ones for me said these aren't hard to hang.

So I switched the hangers & hung the bottom 6 traps on Saturday. Then I was going to wait a couple days to get the top ones up, because I had a Dr Appt, but I noticed there were two bees in the one trap already. So I got one of the climbers to put the top 5 traps up. Now I'm ready!!!

I'll add this to my original post too.

Bear

Trap with new hanger hole (Keyhole Router Bit):
DSCN0644.jpg

Close-up of hanger hole:
DSCN0645.jpg

Last edited:
absolutely beautiful, would love to buy a couple from you if you decide to sell any....

Bear,

It just came to me.  Are you the guy that used to do demonstrations and selling of your work at fairs, festivals, etc?  You used to build everything from little kids rocking chairs to full sized animals and stuff?

Last edited:

Looks like those will work just perfectly. Do you put that many on your house or did you make extras to share or sell?
Thanks Ross!!

I put 11 up, and the others are backups.

Bear

absolutely beautiful, would love to buy a couple from you if you decide to sell any....
Thanks Tacoma!!

Sorry, I don't get around so good since I made these, so I gotta keep them all to defend my Log House!!.

Bear

Bear,

It just came to me.  Are you the guy that used to do demonstrations and selling of your work at fairs, festivals, etc?  You used to build everything from little kids rocking chairs to full sized animals and stuff?
Nope, not me.

I had my own Cabinet shop for 10 years, and the only thing other than cabinets I used to sell were Chainsaw carvings & Reverse turned Christmas ornaments.

Bear

Hi Bear,

I'm new here at this forum but old hand at smoking since back in the fifties. 

Love your remarks about the Prime Rib smokin and I did one New Years day and followed your directions and had a great outcome. Didn't do pictures but pulled it at 140* and was just right. I used Jeff's rub

Got my MES 30 in early Nov and have done pork chops, turkey, chickens and now the Rib Roast. All of them have been outstanding.

Notice your comments and pictures of the Carpenter Bee Traps. I have been making and selling bee traps for 4 years now.

I make mine to use a mason jar as I have listen to a lot of people remark about the water and soda bottles as being TACKY.

I make mine with white wood and yellow pine, I looked at your old one and see that it didn't come from me as I have sold lot's of them in your part of the country. I have done a lot of testing and different locations prior to selling my bee traps.

You can see mine at http://www.bonanza.com/booths/BeeTraps  

Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

Catfish

Hi Bear,

I'm new here at this forum but old hand at smoking since back in the fifties. 

Love your remarks about the Prime Rib smokin and I did one New Years day and followed your directions and had a great outcome. Didn't do pictures but pulled it at 140* and was just right. I used Jeff's rub

Got my MES 30 in early Nov and have done pork chops, turkey, chickens and now the Rib Roast. All of them have been outstanding.

Notice your comments and pictures of the Carpenter Bee Traps. I have been making and selling bee traps for 4 years now.

I make mine to use a mason jar as I have listen to a lot of people remark about the water and soda bottles as being TACKY.

I make mine with white wood and yellow pine, I looked at your old one and see that it didn't come from me as I have sold lot's of them in your part of the country. I have done a lot of testing and different locations prior to selling my bee traps.

You can see mine at http://www.bonanza.com/booths/BeeTraps  

Have a great day and a better tomorrow.

Catfish
Sounds good Catfish!! Glad your Prime Rib turned out Great !!!

I made my traps with soda bottles because I was worried the bees could fly up to the hole in the lid & walk out of mason jars. The soda bottle neck is too narrow to fly & the sides of the bottles are too slippery to walk. 

Nice Web site!!

Bear

Time to Bump this up, because it's definitely that time of the year:

I put the 7 "Low" traps up the other day, and I hate to bother anyone, so I was going to wait until after my Tuesday Dr Visit, and get one of my Son's tower climbers to put the 4 "High" traps up.

However I saw the one low trap already had 2 Carpenter Bees in it, so we got the 4 High traps up yesterday afternoon.

Now I'm ready----These traps are really Awesome, especially if you live in a log house, or have a lot of wood construction or exterior wood trim. 

Bear

Reactions: gary s
I had a laugh last year when I watched a carpenter bee working hard to make a hole in one of my tomato stakes. I wonder what it thought when it got 1 inch into the job and hit daylight.

Way to go Bearcarver.

Always helping others, and this is one great addition.  Perfect step-by step project and wonderful photos.

icon14.gif
Thank You Frosty!!

I always try to help my Meat Smoking Buddies!  Great Bunch!!

Bear

I had a laugh last year when I watched a carpenter bee working hard to make a hole in one of my tomato stakes. I wonder what it thought when it got 1 inch into the job and hit daylight.
LOL----Yeah, most of my wood pieces on this house are between 2" and 6" thick, but my Soffits are only 3/4".

Before I made these traps, I used to find Bee holes through the Soffits. All that work, and nowhere to turn!!!
biggrin.gif

Bear

OK guys, I had to upgrade my way of hanging these things. The little hanger tabs I put on these didn't hold up because after a couple years of weather the screws would pull out, so I went back to the way I did my old Bee Traps. I used the "Keyhole Router Bit". These work Great.
When I made these upgraded traps, I originally put the little metal hangers on, so it would be easy for the guys to hang them way up top, but since those didn't work so good, I went back to the Keyhole cutter. The guy that hung the top ones for me said these aren't hard to hang.

So I switched the hangers & hung the bottom 6 traps on Saturday. Then I was going to wait a couple days to get the top ones up, because I had a Dr Appt, but I noticed there were two bees in the one trap already. So I got one of the climbers to put the top 5 traps up. Now I'm ready!!!

I'll add this to my original post too.

Bear

Trap with new hanger hole (Keyhole Router Bit):
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN0644.jpg.html

Close-up of hanger hole:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN0645.jpg.html

These bee traps look awesome and it sounds like they work nicely.  My question, do the holes on the sides and front need to be drilled at an angle or do they just go straight in to meet the 1" hole? 

These bee traps look awesome and it sounds like they work nicely.  My question, do the holes on the sides and front need to be drilled at an angle or do they just go straight in to meet the 1" hole? 
Those 3 holes go straight in at a 90* angle to meet the 1" hole coming up from the bottle.

That's the way they normally drill their own holes, before they make a right turn to follow the cell structure of the wood.

Bear

Great article! I'm making some and ran across some roughsawn cedar which was much cheaper. It was wet when purchased, and now it is drying out and small cracks are appearing in the end grain. Is there any sealant I can use that won't affect the function of the traps?

Thanks 

MJT

Interesting. I don't think we have carpenter bees in this area, at least not that I'm aware of. But I'd sure like something to cut down on the yellow jackets.

Maybe I missed it, but do you bait these with anything?

Great article! I'm making some and ran across some roughsawn cedar which was much cheaper. It was wet when purchased, and now it is drying out and small cracks are appearing in the end grain. Is there any sealant I can use that won't affect the function of the traps?

Thanks

MJT
Thanks MJT !!

If the cracks aren't big they shouldn't affect the function of the traps. If they're big cracks I guess you could use some filler & a coat of paint on the end grain, but no paint near the entrance holes.

Bear
Interesting. I don't think we have carpenter bees in this area, at least not that I'm aware of. But I'd sure like something to cut down on the yellow jackets.

Maybe I missed it, but do you bait these with anything?
You would know it if you had them. If you don't have any exposed wood on your house or out buildings, they won't stick around.

No bait needed----They go in because they're lazy & the hole is already started.

For Ground Yellow Jackets I use Sevin Dust, with carbaryl, and dump it or squirt it in their ground entrances. Then the mother will get it on herself & carry it around the nest to the bottom entrance under the nest to the rest of them.

Bear

Last edited:
Got one hung by my deck off the kitchen - It has been up for 3 days and today it had 5 bees in it! They had been circling it for a day or two and today they tried it out to their demise!!  Great trap - I will get
others finished this week!  Thanks for your great details on making them!!

Got one hung by my deck off the kitchen - It has been up for 3 days and today it had 5 bees in it! They had been circling it for a day or two and today they tried it out to their demise!!  Great trap - I will get

others finished this week!  Thanks for your great details on making them!!
That's Great MJT !!!

That's at least a dozen that won't be there next year!!

They work best up high & on the South side, but with a log house, all sides can score.

I just checked my 11 traps from the ground, and my guesstimate is about 25 so far.

They're working Great here. WE just patched some Woodpecker holes where they pecked in to get Bee Larva from nests that were built in my upper facia 12 years ago, before I made the traps. We had plugged them back then. but about a month ago a Woodpecker found it & ripped it open. I filled those big holes with PC7 Epoxy. Hopefully that will stop it.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky