Carp for dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Riflesmith

Original poster
May 10, 2018
anywhere and everywhere
The only picture I took is the solid 10 pound carp that my wife caught this afternoon. (meaning no cooking or eating pictures :) ) We fileted out the fish, put it on ice for a couple of hours, then sprinkled on some of Jeff's Rub, and fried it up in a well seasoned cast iron skillet.

This is the first carp I have cooked this way, and I must say, it was quite good!

Last edited:
Well I am a big fan of catfish, but I never really liked carp.
But that could easily be because I didn't know how to cook it properly.
But I'm willing to learn!!
Al

With Carp do you have to pretty much cut all the fat off to get rid of the off taste?

Yes, cutting off the fat definitely makes a big difference.

Cook the fish slowly, so those bones have a chance to soften, then towards the end of your cooking time, turn up the heat so you can put a little "crunch" on the fish, unless you prefer a softer texture.

Well I am a big fan of catfish, but I never really liked carp.
But that could easily be because I didn't know how to cook it properly.
But I'm willing to learn!!
Al

Al,

the absolute best way I have found to cook carp is to pressure cook them, and make "salmon patties" out of them - IF you like salmon patties. The smell, texture, color and taste are nearly identical to that of salmon, that you buy in cans to make salmon patties out of. If you need a carp canning recipe and this is sonething you would lije to try, just let me know.

...and I find more often than not, people making comments like the last two have either 1 - have never eaten carp and know nothing about carp, 2 - eaten carp from someone who did not know how to properly prepare it, or 3 - what they ate came out of a muddy lake, river or pond. Them there is 4 - but that would not be nice to say on a family forum. So....... :p

Riflesmith, I would be interested in your carp canning recipe if you would like to share. I don't want to hijack this thread so maybe you could start another one? Thank you. Dan

Dan,

this is the recipe that my grandparents used to can carp, when my grandpa and I would go carp fishing...

Carp canning recipe -

Fill pint jars with filleted carp pieces...

Leave 1/2 inch space between top of jar and fish, but pack firmly...

To each jar add the following: 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. vinegar (vinegar dissolves the bones) 2 tsp. catsup, 1 tsp. Jeff's Rub, 1 tsp. cooking oil...

Add lids and rings, pressure cook for 90 minutes at 12 psi...

Canned carp are prepared exactly the same way as salmon patties...

Awesome!!! Thank you very much. I used to can suckers back in the day with a similar method. Looking forward to trying this.

Al,

the absolute best way I have found to cook carp is to pressure cook them, and make "salmon patties" out of them - IF you like salmon patties. The smell, texture, color and taste are nearly identical to that of salmon, that you buy in cans to make salmon patties out of. If you need a carp canning recipe and this is sonething you would lije to try, just let me know.
Love salmon patties. We also make sucker patties which are real good also. Suckers run one time a year in a creek near me which we net at night usually around midnight.

Reactions: Riflesmith
Love salmon patties. We also make sucker patties which are real good also. Suckers run one time a year in a creek near me which we net at night usually around midnight.

Now that I have never heard of! Sounds interesting for sure. What is the meat texture like? What does it taste like?

Now that I have never heard of! Sounds interesting for sure. What is the meat texture like? What does it taste like?
They look exactly like their name. Bottom feeders. The meat is white, firm and flaky with lots of bones. Most people don't eat them and use them for bait for other fish. We used to go to this bridge over a small creek around midnight and lower a big net down. But I'm getting to old to dip now. Some guys smoke them but most grind them up to make patties. Grinding them up and you don't have to worry about the bones. Very tasty. Just goes to show you can eat just about anything no matter how ugly it is.

Reactions: Riflesmith
I don't know anything about fried carp but do remember well "smoked carp." I didn't smoke then but receiving some was most welcome. Smoked carp, cold beer and a game on TV, OH YEA! :cool:

Several guys I know that live up north, take these common carp and fry them, and say they are as good as most any other fish. This is how they cook them -

Fillet the carp and cut off the fat and red meat...

Score the fish on both sides, and make the score lines 1/2" apart from each other, from end to end. Score the fish a little over half way through and on both sides...

Once scored, soak the fillets in buttermilk all day or over night...

Rince the fillets and put them on paper towels and pat them dry...

Coat the fillets in seasoned corn meal, and fold the fillets over to open up the scores, and get the cornmeal down in all the cuts and on both sides...

Heat up a cast iron skillet, with a good eighth inch of bacon grease in the bottom of it...

Put the carp fillets in the skillet, and depending on size, fry for 5 to 7 minutes per side. You don't want to cook them too fast, as you want the fish to cook all the way through...

If you have the cooking time correct, the bones will be soft and you won't have to be bothered with picking them out...

I cooked 2 two pound fillets like this today, for lunch after church, and I was really surprised at how good they were! Not as good as bass or catfish, but since I like fish, I thought it was pretty dang gone good!

Caught a lot of carp this holidays. Ended up smoking and making dip out of it to have with crackers or on toasted rye, ingredients below:

200g smoked carp deboned and chopped
250g cream cheese at room temperature
2 tablespoons Aioli
1 medium red onion, diced
270g jar slice Jalapenos, diced
8 pickled cucumbers (polski ogorki - Krakus brand or Westmont pickles dill sour flavour), diced
1 teaspoon Tabasco Habanero
1 teaspoon Worstershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky