Carolina Reaper has been dethroned

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
I live in the hometown of the Carolina Reaper and saw an article the other day that the Reaper is no longer king of the chiles. Coming in from North Wales UK, the Dragon's Breath chile measures in at 2.5 million on the scoville, where the Reaper measures in at 1.5 million, which sounds tame in comparison.

That was the first Id heard of it. The guy that made the Reaper has a store downtown Ive been to a couple times and one time had chicken and waffles where the syrup was infused with soms reaper goodness. Great taste but Im sure I only got a fraction of its full potentcy

Pepper X is hotter than the Dragon's Breath.It was created by Ed Currie also and comes in at 3.18 million Scoville units.

• Wow
Reactions: negolien
Speaking of have any of you watched Hot Ones the game show?

Is that anything like the guy on the Food Network channel who tries to eat six pounds of nachos in a half hour, or like a Ghost Pepper sandwich in 15 minutes? I think he wins a tee shirt when he succeeds, might come in handy the next morning. Makes me wonder how long he'll be the star of the show, or if he'll just drop dead on camera. RAY

• Haha
I enjoy cooking with reapers better that ghost peppers. Ghost peppers have their place for sure, but they can leave an unappealing flavor in certain applications. The reaper doesn't tend to leave off flavors in my experience anyways.

One day I'll get access to those two hotter ones :-)

I think I’ll sit this one out, my arse will thank me.

I do enjoy watching Hot Ones, I watch only the ones where I have an interest in the guest...although a lot of them have surprised me because the nature of the show allows them to act natural. Sean is a great interviewer.

My faves that come to mind are Guy Fieri, Shia LaBuf and Alton Brown. John Mayer surprised me. I always thought he was a d-bag but turns out he’s a real cool guy who I’d wanna have a beer with. I don’t watch any of the ones with the rappers, the one with DJ Khalid was a joke.

• Haha
1/4 teaspoon CR powder in 6 qts chili lights it up.pretty well whereby I'm the only one eating it. Same with 1/8 teaspoon sprinkled over a pizza. I've got so much dried pods and dust from Ghost peppers, Choc Habs and CR I'm taking this summer off from peppers and doing Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes .

Reactions: Will Squared
Is that anything like the guy on the Food Network channel who tries to eat six pounds of nachos in a half hour, or like a Ghost Pepper sandwich in 15 minutes? I think he wins a tee shirt when he succeeds, might come in handy the next morning. Makes me wonder how long he'll be the star of the show, or if he'll just drop dead on camera. RAY

Hot Ones the Game show is a trivia game show on Tru tv, each round the contestants each a hotter and hotter wing drenched in sauce. The 3rd round, they get their wing in the hottest of the sauce, if they get the question correct, they have to take another bite of the wing. Final round they do a shot of all three sauces mixed with an eye dropper of what looks like pure ground chilis which 2 mill on the scoville.

If you win, its 25k, if you lose, ur left with a burning bunghole the next day

I think I’ll sit this one out, my arse will thank me
Lol! I'm with xray on this one. While I do enjoy "spicy" food, I guess I'm pretty much a wussie in the chilehead world. Scotch Bonnets and Thai's are about as brave as I can get, and whatever Nuke chile's it is that they are using at the local Indian Restaurant.

Reactions: xray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky