Carne Guisada

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Supposed to be beef but i cubed some pork for this. My SIL is PR and he made the rice.
Appl and dry onion not used. I chopped a fresh onion. Used 1 can drained diced tomato also.
20220408_105136.jpg

Cubed pork, seasoned with SPG and Adobo.
20220408_110237.jpg

Recipe Ingredients​

Though Carne literally means meat, beef is still the best choice for the best Guisada Recipe. The other ingredients you will be needing are:

• Sazon Seasoning (optional) – has a distinct savory taste and very palatable in flavor.
  • All-purpose Flour – This pantry must-have isn’t just for baking, it’s also great for many savory dishes.
  • Vegetable Oil – mostly used for sauteing and to prevent the beef/pork from sticking to the pan while searing.
  • Onion – This veggie is great served fresh with its tangy flavor. I personally love it slightly caramelized for a bit of sweetness
  • Garlic – Whether you use it fresh, dried, or powdered, this gives your whole dish a mouthwatering aroma
  • Cumin – has earthy, pungent, and mildly bitter taste but makes any dish flavorful
  • Oregano Spice – is an herb with a pungent smell and taste but creates lovely flavors when added to a dish
  • Chili Powder – although it says chili powder, surprisingly it is not as hot as you imagined. It is actually a spice blend that has an earthy, mildly spicy, and has a pungent taste to it.
  • Tomato – has a perfect blend of natural acid and sweetness ideal for stew.
  • Beef Broth – gives delectable and savory beefy flavor to the sauce.
  • Water – essential to make the beef tender and juicy.
  • Serrano Pepper – very similar to jalapeno but spicier and hotter.
  • Cilantro – has a fresh citrusy flavor very similar to parsley.
  • Salt – intensifies the flavor of any dish.
  • Pepper – together with salt, they give a flavor boost to any dish.
Using my CI Dutch.
20220408_112524.jpg

Instructions​

• Add beef to a large bowl then season with salt, pepper, and sazon seasoning (optional). Lightly flour with about 3 tablespoons flour.
  • Heat a large skillet or pot on medium-high heat and pour the vegetable oil. Add the beef and brown on both sides. As soon as beef browns up add garlic and onions, sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
  • Stir in diced tomatoes, cumin, oregano, and chili powder. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
  • Pour in water and/or beef stock and mix well making sure every inch of the pot has been closed.
  • Bring to a boil, cover pan, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 1 ½ hour, or until meat is tender. Throw in diced serrano pepper and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
  • Add in cilantro to taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
  • Serve with rice and or tortillas.

I ended up adding 2 more Tbsp flour to thicken.

20220408_114805.jpg

20220408_160048.jpg

This looks so awesome. One of the Two dishes I've wanted to learn to make a dang good one as well as arroz con pollo. I'm wondering where you could add smoke flavor to make a smoky twist

When i have some smoked pork he uses that in the rice.

Grew up on this stuff.
My mother would make beef, then pork, then chicken, then back to beef hahaha. We would complain like "CMON same thing different meat every day"!
Now we all constantly want it hahhaa.

I love guisado, its sooo good.
I trim off the thin meat portion of my brisket flats and beef guisado is one of the dishes I make with that good trimmed away flat meat :) It's awesome!

Looks really good on my screen, I'm betting it tasted even better.

Point for sure
Chris

That’s awesome! Book marking this one, I can actually eat this, without the rice or tortillas, right now. Definately will have a go this week! Sazon is really great stuff, I’ve been using it a lot lately since Jeff’s tomato soup. Gives a nice color too!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky