CAPACOLA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

roller

Smoking Guru
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 10, 2010
N.E. Louisiana
I have been wanting to do a Capacola for a while now so back in Dec. 2012 I decided to try one using the DryBag method. I found a recipe on line and there are many of them and I addeded some seasoning of my own liking. I do not have a curing chamber so thats the reason I decided to do it this way..

I cured it with #2 for about 2 weeks then washed it real good then added the seasonings and put it in the Dry Bag and into the frig on a air rack for a few months in my case 3 months. It lost about 50% of its weight and had a hard crust on its outside when I pulled it. I sliced it real thin. It was kinds chewy and had a really nice taste to it..I think it turned out just great and really good with Cheese , Crackers and Beer...

Out of the cure washed and the season applied..

Into the Dry Bag and vaccumed and sealed..

All finished up..

Money shot !

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS PROCESS UNTIL YOU DO ALOT OF RESERCH ON HOW TO DO IT...

Thanks for looking !!!

Very nice there Roller.

What is that vac mouse stuff? I was thinking that fuseable fabric stuff the lady's use to bond fabric?

One of my Fav Sandwiches...Coppa, Fried Peppers, Sharp Aged Provolone (Provolone Picante) and Fresh Mozzarella on an Italian Roll. That Dry bag looks like a good option for folks with no Curing Cabinet...JJ

Very nice there Roller.

What is that vac mouse stuff? I was thinking that fuseable fabric stuff the lady's use to bond fabric?

Rick its a fabric inserted into the top of the bag so the vaccum can be drawn. A vaccum can not be drawn without it..Its not sticky but melts when the seal is placed. You can see it in pic 4 at the top of the bag...

Last edited:
One of my Fav Sandwiches...Coppa, Fried Peppers, Sharp Aged Provolone (Provolone Picante) and Fresh Mozzarella on an Italian Roll. That Dry bag looks like a good option for folks with no Curing Cabinet...JJ
Very much so Jimmy...I tell you this stuff is in a class of its own...

Very nice there Roller.

Rick its a fabric inserted into the top of the bag so the vaccum can be drawn. A vaccum can not be drawn without it..Its not sticky but melts when the seal is placed. You can see it in pic 4 at the top of the bag...
Is that something that comes with the Dry Bag Aging system ??   Or something you bought extra...      Dave

Dave it comes in the kit when you buy it...it just allows the end of the dry bag to have enough space in it to pull a vaccum because these SPECIAL bags are not made like a normal vac seal bag...

Dave it comes in the kit when you buy it...it just allows the end of the dry bag to have enough space in it to pull a vaccum because these SPECIAL bags are not made like a normal vac seal bag...
Can you use it with a Food Saver?...JJ

O.M.G.!!! I have been wanting to do some dry curing but haven't been able to get the money to build a chamber. I just watched all those videos and cant wait to order some of those bags. Thank you SOOOOO much for posting this thread.

I have been walking kinda easy with this because I do not think that they are sponsors. This systems works but you have to follow their instructions to the T...Plus they are real helpful and quick to respond to any questions you may have..you can also resize the larger bags to fit your needs with your food saver unit...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky