Can't decide tri tip method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
I was going to smoke a tri tip to 135 and sear on the grill, then I saw some guys doing a tri tip like a brisket, wrap in foil at 165 with some beef broth and take to 205 or so. Anyone try the brisket method or should I just smoke it the conventional way?

Anyone try the brisket method or should I just smoke it the conventional way?
I just watched reruns of BBQ Pitmasters . That was the first time I saw it cooked liked brisket . Sure looked good and the judges seemed to want it that way .
I've only done one . Smoked to 130 ish and seared in hot cast iron skillet .
20191215_180802.jpg

I have only done them one way, smoke till 110 deg. vac pack and freeze, Sous Vide till 125 and sear off on the grill. The reason for the freeze is I usually get 4-7 at a time and I smoke all at the same time. Then when we want one we pull from freezer to finish. I am going to try hot and fast and now I like the looks of the above brisket method, although taking it to 205 would be over done?

I have only done them one way, smoke till 110 deg. vac pack and freeze, Sous Vide till 125 and sear off on the grill. The reason for the freeze is I usually get 4-7 at a time and I smoke all at the same time. Then when we want one we pull from freezer to finish. I am going to try hot and fast and now I like the looks of the above brisket method, although taking it to 205 would be over done?
I'm leaning to try the brisket method at the moment. 205 is what I do brisket to and it's not overdone, pull apart tender.

Reactions: clifish
I never had the pleasure of making a Trip Tip in any way, because they don't sell them around here.
However since Smoking a Brisket, Butt, Chucky, etc, etc is to break down a relatively Tough Meat to make it Tender, how can anyone do that to a Try Tip, when you can get one to look like the one Chopsaw posted above, in Post #4.

Just My 2 Piasters,
Bear

I have only been smoking since the beginning of the year and my first smoke was a tri tip. It wasn’t my bag. I live in So Cal and tri tips grow on trees around here so I have been cooking these for apong time. I prefer hot and fast. Lately I have been using my Kettle and I’ll throw a chunk of oak on. It s a lean meat so that’s just the way I prefer it. I cooked this Monday evening. Pulled at 127.

Attachments

• 6D265CD0-FE5C-4BDF-B021-8022E19869FD.jpeg
    6D265CD0-FE5C-4BDF-B021-8022E19869FD.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 38012125-DF93-42BA-9182-0F63FBA68EA8.jpeg
    38012125-DF93-42BA-9182-0F63FBA68EA8.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Bearcarver
Tri tip is so expensive around here, I always either cook it on the Santa Maria To about 120 IT. I can’t imagine taking it to 205, but would give it a try if it were cheaper. I’m always up for a challenge.
Al

Reactions: forktender
in a cast iron skillet
That's the ticket . I've started using a screaming hot cast iron for all reverse searing . Dry pan , dry meat surface . Let it go until it releases . If you want to add some butter , do it after the first flip .
That's how I like to do it anyway . Salt and pepper . No sugary rubs when I do it .

I only smoke mine to 130 degrees . Remove and foil rest for 30 minutes. Tender and juicy. TriTip at 205 degrees? I think it would be hard as a rock. Just my 2 centavos.

My family (spelled WIFE) doesn't like rare/med rare and prefers it smoked like a brisket. Did one Sunday but I always have trouble finding the grain for proper cut. Still turned out great !

Attachments

• 20210829_185114.jpg
    20210829_185114.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210829_190155.jpg
    20210829_190155.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
That's the ticket . I've started using a screaming hot cast iron for all reverse searing . Dry pan , dry meat surface . Let it go until it releases . If you want to add some butter , do it after the first flip .
That's how I like to do it anyway . Salt and pepper . No sugary rubs when I do it .
Exactly what I was thinking...if I ever find one...

I don't think I've ever had a bad tri-tip no matter how I cooked it. My current favorite method is to SV it followed by a delayed sear so I don't overshoot my target temp.

More importantly..... make a little sketch of the grain while it's still raw so that your first cut after cooking is in the right spot as the two halves will have a different slicing direction.
FjX6ngP.jpg

I did one TT to 205 like a brisket and it was good but I actually enjoy a TT when it's cooked more like a steak and not a brisket. I like doing a reverse sear where I give it some low temp smoke for about an hour or so (to about 100° IT) then onto a screaming hot grill to 120° / 130° IT (max.) Love that flavor.

That slicing pic thirdeye thirdeye posted was the best thing I ever learned about a Tri Tip. That grain runs in several directions (kind of like a brisket :) and I screwed up the 1st one I ever cooked just by not slicing it correctly.

Forgot about my sous vide machine. Could do it that way to 130 and sear over lump on my grill or cast iron pan as chopsaw mentioned. Decisions, decisions lol.

Reactions: clifish and chopsaw
I picked up four untrimmed Select grade but nicely marbled TTs this morning. Don't shoot me - $3.98/lb. Three went in the freezer. I've grilled, smoked, braised, and roasted them every way possible over the last 40 years.

Got one dry brining as I type with with MSS. Going to grill/smoke it to 125F, slice and serve like fajitas with grilled onions. Attempting homemade Flour Tortillas for the first time, too, using a new tortilla press. So far so good. Cast iron is heating as I type.

If tri tip is taken to 150-160F and sliced, it's like roast beef. If smoked to 195F, it's like a juicy brisket flat.

Tri tip: the chameleon of BEEF!

20210903_172625.jpg

Last edited:
If I get an untrimmed TT, I will try the brisket method, most I get are already trimmed.

Here's the thread that started the "tri tip like a brisket" experience here at SMF. Doing it the first time felt so unnatural, but wow, the results.

That said, NO WAY would I do a tri tip like a brisket if it was more expensive than brisket. That's just silly. Do brisket!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky