• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Canadian Bacon on a Stick...An experiment...with lots of pictures

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2013
Well like many of my experiments do, this one started on the specials rack at my local Restaurant Depot.  Funny thing that I noticed is that many bone-in cuts of beef and pork puncture the cryovac packages during shipping and the Restaurant Depot's policy is that they are automatically discounted, in most cases between 40-50%.  The beauty is, most of this meat was packed 2-3 days ago and perfectly fresh.  I have figured out their labeling system for reduced items and I avoid the stuff thats being discounted because it is old.   So any way... I ended up with a rack of pork, which is nothing more than a bone-in loin that has been frenched.  I know that meat in between the bones is delicious, but hey, it looks cool!  So here is my proccess:

1.  Cured the rack of pork that weighed about 4 pounds in a lower salt version of Pop's Brine:

1 Gallon of Water

1 cup of White Sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup kosher salt

1 Tablespoon of Cure #1

2.  Meant to let it go for 2 weeks but it ended up swimming for 3.  Oh well, beauty of this cure!

3.  Took it out of the cure, rinsed it, dried it and coated it with coarse black pepper, granulated onion, and granulated garlic

4.  Popped it in the fridge to dry for a couple of days

5.  Hung it in the Pit Barrel Cooker with Apple and Hickory chunks for what I thought would be a couple hours but turned into three, 

possibly because of single digit temps and a lot of wind.

6.  Cooked to an IT of 143 and it carried over to about 147.

When it was done, I let it rest for a while , then sliced myself a double chop and topped it with home smoked Sriracha cheddar and a sunny side up egg...An amped up Bacon, Egg, and Cheese if you will.

The verdict was that I will definitely be repeating this.  Super moist and tender with a great bacon flavor and it looked cool to boot.   I would put it up there as one of my better experiments and it really was pretty simple!  I apologize for the obscene amount of photos to come but I was really proud of this one!

Thanks for looking!

-Chris

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That looks absolutely delicious Chris!

This should make the carousel for sure!

Point!

Al

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2013
That looks absolutely delicious Chris!

This should make the carousel for sure!

Point!

Al
Thanks so much Al! They say bacon makes everything better... I would amend that to "Bacon, egg, and cheese" makes everything better" haha

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Holy mother of pork! Not only is that a beautiful sight to see, I'd bet the flavor of that meal was to die for!

Pointing this one!

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Makes me hungry !!!!  Good doo on the meat...   everything really.... 

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Great Chris!!
----

Mighty Tasty!

They sell them around here---They call them "Cured Smoked Pork Chop on a Stick".

Bear

Last edited:

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
What a beautiful smoke and pictures! If I had any points left I would give you one!

Disco

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2013
Holy mother of pork! Not only is that a beautiful sight to see, I'd bet the flavor of that meal was to die for!

Pointing this one!
Thanks so much Charlie! It really was one of the better meals I've made myself in a while!

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2013
Looks Great Chris!!:drool ----:points:

Mighty Tasty!:drool

They sell them around here---They call them "Cured Smoked Pork Chop on a Stick".

Bear

Definitely inspired by bacon on a stick with ribs! Thanks so much for the points and the kind words!

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 3, 2013
What a beautiful smoke and pictures! If I had any points left I would give you one!

Disco
Thanks so much Disco! My sister started an instagram account about my food so now I am forced to take lots of pictures haha

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Thanks so much Disco! My sister started an instagram account about my food so now I am forced to take lots of pictures haha
Point given! Better late than never! What's your instagram acoount?

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Chris that is a load of CB nice job on the cure and smoke Points

Richie

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.