Canadian Bacon Dry Cured (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have tried this and it turned out great! How long can I keep it in the fridge before it spoils?

Wade

I have tried this and it turned out great! How long can I keep it in the fridge before it spoils?

Wade

That's Great, Wade!!
You can keep it in the Fridge at least as long as store bought Bacon.
I never tried longer than 5 or 6 days, because it gets eaten quicker than that.

Bear

can i substitute pink salt#1 in place of the Morton salt,
as i have it on hand
Id like to try this,
and if so is it 1-tsp per pound of pork? (memory lockup)

I don't use Pink Salt, but I believe that's 1tsp for 5 pounds.
However I don't personally recommend Dry Curing with Pink Salt.
You can't substitute Cure #1 for TQ, however you can make CB with Cure #1 using "Pops" recipe. Do a search---It's all over this forum.

My Curing Step by Steps are only for those who use TQ.

Bear

Again a big thanks for your recipe. Always a huge hit with friends and family. This latest 27 pound batch takes me to 341 pounds made in the last 5 years.
Makes great Christmas gifts. My golf cart guy likes it so much he trades me parts and accessories for pennies on the dollar.
1018191836.jpg
1018191838a.jpg

Again a big thanks for your recipe. Always a huge hit with friends and family. This latest 27 pound batch takes me to 341 pounds made in the last 5 years.
Makes great Christmas gifts. My golf cart guy likes it so much he trades me parts and accessories for pennies on the dollar.
View attachment 409296 View attachment 409297

And it's a Beautiful Job you did !!
341 pounds??---Wow!!
I love that you left that little Fat Cap on---Great Flavor!!
Like.

Bear

WoW !! Looks great, BUT ........ I think you have way to much , you could sent me a pound or ten !!

Gary

I see a lot of you paying .49 through .79 per pound for pork loins. Only one of our grocery stores within a local chain had a meat sale last Oct. I spent a dollar a pound on a packer loin, was this too expensive?

I see a lot of you paying .49 through .79 per pound for pork loins. Only one of our grocery stores within a local chain had a meat sale last Oct. I spent a dollar a pound on a packer loin, was this too expensive?

Best price I can remember ever getting around here was $1.49 for Pork Loin. (Any size)

Bear

I was joking as I purchased 3 of them along with 4.99 for whole boneless ribeyes, (2 of them) Bone-in whole pork shoulders .87 X's 2, Spare ribs .98 X's3. Then 10lb box of bacon ends and pieces (I use these for ground beef and ground deer, grind all of my own) for 10.00.

Later I found out that the ribeyes were select's so I wet aged them for 60 days then cut and vacuumed all of them for the freezer.

I came to understand that this was an annual event, don't know how I missed it before!

Anyhoo, that is why I'm asking about CB and the process here. 1st time for CB.

I was joking as I purchased 3 of them along with 4.99 for whole boneless ribeyes, (2 of them) Bone-in whole pork shoulders .87 X's 2, Spare ribs .98 X's3. Then 10lb box of bacon ends and pieces (I use these for ground beef and ground deer, grind all of my own) for 10.00.

Later I found out that the ribeyes were select's so I wet aged them for 60 days then cut and vacuumed all of them for the freezer.

I came to understand that this was an annual event, don't know how I missed it before!

Anyhoo, that is why I'm asking about CB and the process here. 1st time for CB.

Boneless Pork Loins is the only Pork around here that we can get at a decent price.

Bear

Thank you! I love Canadian bacon and not only is it expensive in the store I think yours would taste much better. Do you ever smoke your Canadian bacon rather than fry?

All of my Canadian Bacon gets between 10 & 12 hours of Smoking.
The "Frying" before eating is just to warm it up, and not necessary, because it's already been to 145° IT.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky