Canadian Bacon & Cheddar Tenderloin Burger w/ homemade "Pickles" & Fries (Q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I got the inspiration to try Back (Canadian) Bacon on a burger a couple weeks ago at the Cen Tex Que and Brew event where we topped the burgers with Bear's Buckboard Bacon. Those were fantastic so thought I'd try a different twist. I've been making the Canadian Bacon for quite a while now using a recipe that was shared by our good friend disco disco . It's been a huge hit and the different ways to use it continues to expand.

Started out slicing up the goodies to top the burger with
002.jpg

Here are the burgers. We love these things!!
003.jpg

Did some hand cut thick fries tossed with EVOO, SPOG, and a sprinkle of Cayenne
004.jpg

Pack of Canadian Bacon out of the freezer and defrosted
005.jpg

Burgers lightly seasoned with fine ground Montreal Steak Seasoning (there is a story behind this that I'll save for another day...or unless somebody asks)
006.jpg

Homemade "pickles". These really can't be classified as pickles because they have just been in a brine recipe that I put together last weekend when they went into the jar. More aptly, they are brined cucumber spears as opposed to pickles but they are amazing!!
007.jpg

Burger on the grill and Canadian Bacon added
008.jpg

Cheese melting so into the house to build the burger
009.jpg

Add some maters and onions
011.jpg

Lettuce and mayo
012.jpg

Money shot. Burger with the hand cut fries done in the air fryer and a couple of the brined cucumber spears
013.jpg

Not overly complex or deeply involved, just simple food that is really good and close to the heart.

Now to the brined cucumber spears. There have been several of us over the past couple weeks and over several different threads that have shared a ton of ideas, recipes, and techniques for brining all sorts of different things. Steve H Steve H this update is for you sir. As I was getting stuff out for dinner, Tracy asked if she could try one of the spears. Of course she could and up to now, had not eaten any of them. Well, it was love at first bite. She was in awe of the flavor and completely enamored with the spice tingle that comes in on the back end. Those things are nothing short of fantastic. The Trinidad Scorpion Pepper infused sea salt certainly amps up the flavor....and the heat. It isn't super hot by any means but you get a nice comfortable glow that is very pleasant. She wound up eating three of them before the burgers went on, then three more with her burger. A proclamation was made that we would NEVER be buying store bought pickles again and a stock of these would be on hand at all times. She also offered to buy however many jars, cucumbers, and gallons of vinegar it'll take to make a ton of these. There was a recommendation to make some for our friends who aren't much into the heat that are less spicy....but make sure I label which ones are which. Here's where I knew she was totally serious: after we finished cleaning up from dinner, I saw her in the fridge and asked what she was up to. Well, she was getting out all of the store bought pickles we had and was throwing them in the trash. Blessedly we only had a few that were left from the event a couple weeks ago because I hate wasting food....but I kinda had to agree with her on this one. It's good stuff folks!! She just left for church and is planning to run by our little grocery store to get a bunch of cucumbers and a couple gallons of vinegar on her way home.

Knowing what I'll be doing today,
Robert

"I'd hit a plate of that like a Great White on a Sea Lion."

Thank you John!! Very much like yourself, I love doing big, involved, complex, and lengthy meals on a regular basis but sometimes, it's nice to scale it back and enjoy something simple. This was one of those times. Oddly enough though, burgers are one of Tracy's absolute favorite meals and probably one of her most asked for dinners. Works for me :emoji_wink:

Keeping the little lady happy,
Robert

"My my. You outdid my morning snack by far!"

I don't know about all that Steve, but thank you. It's kinda hard to beat a good ham and cheese sammie on marbled Rye bread, regardless of what time of day you eat it :emoji_laughing:

Still love ham and cheese!!
Robert

"I'd hit a plate of that like a Great White on a Sea Lion."

Thank you John!! Very much like yourself, I love doing big, involved, complex, and lengthy meals on a regular basis but sometimes, it's nice to scale it back and enjoy something simple. This was one of those times. Oddly enough though, burgers are one of Tracy's absolute favorite meals and probably one of her most asked for dinners. Works for me :emoji_wink:

Keeping the little lady happy,
Robert

You know the old saying "Happy Wife Happy Life" and I try to keep her happy, and she does love her burgers too.

Reactions: Steve H
"You know the old saying "Happy Wife Happy Life" and I try to keep her happy, and she does love her burgers too."

"Words to live by there!"

You're not gonna get a word of argument from me!! Especially when you take into account that she's the one who makes....and controls all of the money around here :emoji_blush:

Robert

"Oh Yeah---Drop the Raw Onion, and that stuff Makes Awesome Bear Bait !!
Like.

Bear"

Thank you Bear!! Very much appreciate the kind words....but I'm kinda at a loss. I thought "Bear Bait" was a Texas A&M Aggie slathered with honey :emoji_laughing:

Defending the Longhorns,
Robert

Last edited:
"Oh Yeah---Drop the Raw Onion, and that stuff Makes Awesome Bear Bait !!
Like.

Bear"

Thank you Bear!! Very much appreciate the kind words....but I'm kinda at a loss. I thought "Bear Bait" was a Texas A&M Aggie slathered with honey.

Defending the Longhorns,
Robert

Yup---Seems they should stay out of MD though.

Bear

"Yup---Seems they should stay out of MD though.

Bear"

In all honesty Bear, I don't have an affiliation with either school...or any school for that matter. Living just outside of Austin though it's kinda tough not to get caught up in the Longhorn hype and the rivalry between the schools. That comment actually stems from a long motorcycle trip three of us took a few years ago through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Skyline Drive. We stopped at a secluded overlook to take some pics and there were signs everywhere warning people to be on the lookout for bears. Doug (A&M gad) mumbles something to the effect of "what would we do if we saw a bear?". Barry (UT grad) replied "get out a big jar of honey, dump it all over Doug, and run like Hell". That was the catalyst for a lot of school rivalry jokes over the years. Maybe you had to be there, but it sure was funny to see the look on Doug's face :emoji_wink:

Remembering back but staying out of the fracas,
Robert

"Yup---Seems they should stay out of MD though.

Bear"

In all honesty Bear, I don't have an affiliation with either school...or any school for that matter. Living just outside of Austin though it's kinda tough not to get caught up in the Longhorn hype and the rivalry between the schools. That comment actually stems from a long motorcycle trip three of us took a few years ago through the Great Smokey Mountain National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Skyline Drive. We stopped at a secluded overlook to take some pics and there were signs everywhere warning people to be on the lookout for bears. Doug (A&M gad) mumbles something to the effect of "what would we do if we saw a bear?". Barry (UT grad) replied "get out a big jar of honey, dump it all over Doug, and run like Hell". That was the catalyst for a lot of school rivalry jokes over the years. Maybe you had to be there, but it sure was funny to see the look on Doug's face :emoji_wink:

Remembering back but staying out of the fracas,
Robert

LOL---I Love it!!
Funny Story!!
However, The Bear Bait I refer to is what lures "This Bear".

Bear

"LOL---I Love it!!
Funny Story!!"

It really was funny. I'll never forget the look on Doug's face when he was offered up as cannon fodder so the rest of us could escape unscathed.

"However, The Bear Bait I refer to is what lures "This Bear"."

I get that sir and do understand. Overall though, bears do love honey and are lured by it. Was just too good a memory....and story not to share.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky