Just a boring burger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
We all make a lot of threads with fascinating meals. Sometimes it is nice to just cook up a burger or five. My problem is I can't just make a normal one anymore. My favorite is to make Bison burgers but it has gotten very expensive lately. My second favorite is Angus Beef burgers. It is not so bad at just under $13 for 2.75 Lbs. I used it for 5 burgers and a small one with what was left. Fired up the pit with Mesquite and Hickory over the Cowboy coals.

2023_just_burgers_001.jpg

With Brioche buns toasted lightly and thin red onions. Half were topped with American cheese. One side with mayo and the other with BBQ sauce. Tomato, Lettuce and Famous Dave's spicy garlic pickles. So simple yet so good.

2023_just_burgers_002.jpg

We all make a lot of threads with fascinating meals. Sometimes it is nice to just cook up a burger or five. My problem is I can't just make a normal one anymore. My favorite is to make Bison burgers but it has gotten very expensive lately. My second favorite is Angus Beef burgers. It is not so bad at just under $13 for 2.75 Lbs. I used it for 5 burgers and a small one with what was left. Fired up the pit with Mesquite and Hickory over the Cowboy coals.

View attachment 676341

With Brioche buns toasted lightly and thin red onions. Half were topped with American cheese. One side with mayo and the other with BBQ sauce. Tomato, Lettuce and Famous Dave's spicy garlic pickles. So simple yet so good.

View attachment 676342
Those look delicious. We make stupid little double smash burgers on the Blackstone all the time.
Sometimes we need a good 'ol 80/20 beef onion and cheese fix.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
It's kind of funny, but I prefe bison for burgers, hamburger steak, or mini-meatloaves better than most bison (whole muscle) steaks. If you ever get the chance to buy bison back ribs, give them a try.

Oh I did recently make them and posted it in a recent contest here. It did not win the prize but won my heart it was so good. I still have more in the freezer for later.

2023_bison_ribs_009.jpg

View attachment 676341

View attachment 676342
That looks so good. Definitely on the menu for this week.

Nothing beats a good old fashioned burger. Nicely done west coast.

Point for sure
East coast...

BTW you mentioned bison. What ever happened to beefalo? It was really popular a few years ago but I haven't seen or heard about in a long time.

Burgers look great! I forgot about those Famous Dave's pickles...gotta' keep my eye out for another jar.
So...does anyone live in a part of the country where buffalo or beefalo is cheaper (store retail price) than beef?
I love it and I remember when it was going to be the next big thing. Now, if you find it, you're going to pay a premium price.

Last edited:
Nice looking burger and I didn't notice nothing boring in it at all!! I would have a burger at any time of the day: for breakfast, lunch or dinner even though I am on diet....I don't know - maybe something is wrong with me but burger made with 80/20 ground beef (trying to keep it simple) is one of the best foods for me!! :emoji_laughing:

Burgers look great!
We have a bison farm just outside of town. And I'll buy it from time to time. I have 2 pounds of ground in the freezer that I may cook this next weekend. I like the steaks too.

Thanks guys, they are actually really good. Made another one tonight with bacon. Had a couple Japanese - Swiss rolls on the side.

2023_just_burgers_003.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky