Canadian Andouille

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
One of the first things I made when I got my smoker was andouille. I love it I have been adjusting the seasonings and recipe to get it just the way I want it and I think I am there.

I suspect anyone from Louisiana will be cringing at my efforts. However, it suits my northern tastes and I have named it Canadian andouille in the hope they won't hate me for corrupting their dish too much.

They had cubed pork shoulder on sale at a very good price as sweet and sour pork. However, it was pretty well trimmed so I bought a little under 2 kilograms (a little over 4 pounds) and made it up to 2.25 kilograms (5 pounds with some pork fat trimmings I'd saved from some butts. I cubed the fat and added it to the already cubed pork. I mixed the following:

2 .25 kilograms/5 pounds pork shoulder
25 ml/1 ½ tbsp. kosher salt
8 ml/1 ½ tsp cayenne
5 ml/1 tsp prague powder
4 ml/¾ tsp thyme
4 ml/¾ tsp mace
2 ml/½ tsp cloves
2 ml/½ tsp allspice
3 ml/½ tsp crushed chilies
8 ml/½ tbsp. coarse ground pepper
25 ml/1 ½ tbsp. paprika
15 ml/1 tbsp sugar
175 ml/¾ cup chopped onion
5 cloves minced garlic

I then tossed the mixture well with the pork and put it outside to chill.

You'll note I put it outside. It is well below freezing here and it is like putting it in the freezer.

I also put my stuffing container and grinding attachments outside to get nice and cold.

I ground the pork with my Kitchen Aid.

Then I beat it for a minute with the paddle of the Kitchen Aid. I put it back outside for an hour to chill.

While it was chilling, I did a fry test. MMMM.

I also put my artificial casings in some warm water.

I stuffed it into 8 inch smoke permeable FB artificial casings.

I tied off the open ends with the heat probe of my remote thermometer in one.

I have found it easier to put the sausage on racks to smoke as I don't do that many at once.

Here they are in the Bradley. I smoked them at 180 F to an internal temperature of 150 F with one end of an AMNPS loaded with maple (it is Canadian Andouille). Near the end, the AMNPS flamed up with the last few pellets. It got the two sausages near it a little more done than I like but it is the one I tested and took the pictures of. It has good texture and tastes fine still. It is just a little harder to peel the casing off.

Then into an ice water bath to cool. Into the fridge overnight.

The verdict. I just love these. They have a nice spice with an onion/garlic finish. I use it on pizza instead of pepperoni and it makes great gumbo (tomorrow). So apologies to my friends from the south but this is how I like Andouille.

Disco

Last edited:
Looks really, really good!!

And since the original "Cajuns" (Acadians) migrated to Louisiana from Canada, I'm thinking you're actually making the original!!

I keep meaning to try making Andouille, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Cajun cooking is all about what you like, it is Andouille if you like it. I am willing to bet that any Cajun would be quite happy with your Andouille.

You guys are going to force me to try my hand at sausage aren't you. I have already started acquiring spices. BUT a sausage stuffer is a definite requirement for Andouille I believe.

BTW I have long used Andouille on my pizza, that was until I found here about making Canadian Bacon! Sometime try a Andouille and pineapple pizza.... I know, but it might just surprise you.

Looks great Disco, thanks for showing it to me. 

Looks really, really good!!

And since the original "Cajuns" (Acadians) migrated to Louisiana from Canada, I'm thinking you're actually making the original!!

I keep meaning to try making Andouille, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Har! Thanks, Md. I have spent some time on the Acadian Coast of New Brunswick and their food is great but not quite the same as Cajun. I would recommend this I like it enough that I am considering making it into some sort of snack stick.

Cajun cooking is all about what you like, it is Andouille if you like it. I am willing to bet that any Cajun would be quite happy with your Andouille.

You guys are going to force me to try my hand at sausage aren't you. I have already started acquiring spices. BUT a sausage stuffer is a definite requirement for Andouille I believe.

BTW I have long used Andouille on my pizza, that was until I found here about making Canadian Bacon! Sometime try a Andouille and pineapple pizza.... I know, but it might just surprise you.

Looks great Disco, thanks for showing it to me. 
Thanks, Foamheart. You can't even buy andouille up here so I have to make it. I will try the pizza suggestion!

You should make sausage. It is fun.

Looking good there Disco, nice job! As long as it suits your taste and needs, than that is the main thing.
Thanks, Santa. It is a favourite around here.

Disco

Hello Disco.  Are you allowed to use Canadian and Andouille in the same sentence?  Just teasin.  MD is absolutely correct about the Arcadians coming in from Canada.  You have just about as much right to claim Andouille as most cajuns.  GREAT lookin Sausage.  Another fine post.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Hello Disco.  Are you allowed to use Canadian and Andouille in the same sentence?  Just teasin.  MD is absolutely correct about the Arcadians coming in from Canada.  You have just about as much right to claim Andouille as most cajuns.  GREAT lookin Sausage.  Another fine post.  Keep Smokin!

Danny
Thanks, Danny, I appreciate the sentiment but with my Irish heritage and the fact I tamed the spice a bit, I suspect I should avoid Louisiana for a while!

Disco

Disco

This is definitely going on the 'todo' list.  One question, my family does not like spicy food, and as much as I do, my system just can't handle it anymore.  Where would you recommend reducing the heat?

Thanks!

I live in the heart of Cajun country and I can tell ya there are at least 6 smoke house/meat markets close to my house that make aundouille, and none of them make it the same or as it was made originally.  Your sausage looked really good and put what ya like in it, its fine with me.  Only 2 lil suggestions.  Grind it as course as ya can.  Aunduille is typically very course grind.  Try to find natural casings.  The ice bath is a wonderful trick we use to set the juices in the sausage. 

We prounounce it:  au  do wee 

It was originally made of small intestine and scraps highly seasoned and stuffed into large intestine and smoked heavily for bean and gumbo seasoning.  Now its more ;like a course spicy sausage.  My buddy has 300 lbs prepped ready to grind stuff and smoke tomorrow.

Disco

This is definitely going on the 'todo' list.  One question, my family does not like spicy food, and as much as I do, my system just can't handle it anymore.  Where would you recommend reducing the heat?

Thanks!
Thanks, Swede. I have already cut back on the chilies and cayenne. This recipe is about the same spiciness as commercial pepperoni, some burn but nothing painful (I can't take the hot stuff anymore, either). If you want it even less, cut the cayenne and crushed chilies in half and it should be quite mild.

Disco

I live in the heart of Cajun country and I can tell ya there are at least 6 smoke house/meat markets close to my house that make aundouille, and none of them make it the same or as it was made originally.  Your sausage looked really good and put what ya like in it, its fine with me.  Only 2 lil suggestions.  Grind it as course as ya can.  Aunduille is typically very course grind.  Try to find natural casings.  The ice bath is a wonderful trick we use to set the juices in the sausage. 

We prounounce it:  au  do wee 

It was originally made of small intestine and scraps highly seasoned and stuffed into large intestine and smoked heavily for bean and gumbo seasoning.  Now its more ;like a course spicy sausage.  My buddy has 300 lbs prepped ready to grind stuff and smoke tomorrow.
Thanks, Cappy. I have hog casings but I like to use this as a larger diameter sausage as I have taken to use it in all kinds of dishes from sandwiches to gumbo. Also, She Who Must Be Obeyed is grossed out by natural casings. She used to eat natural cased sausage from the time she was a child until now. Then she saw me make bratwurst and having seen them being rinsed and stuffed, she balks at them. Sigh. 

wife.gif

I will try it coarser next time though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Would your buddy need a taste tester?

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky