Can you smoke calfs liver

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackhawk19

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 20, 2007
Troy AL
I have seen sig lines that say I will smoke anything. My wife loves liver and I saw some thick slices in the butcher shop today, I did a search and came up with nothing. Can this be done and what would be the recipe

Well I suppose that you could smoke it just not sure that I would want to.

I am not sure what the texture is like but I guess I would place it on a cedar plank, put a rub on it, cover it with bacon, spray with a mixture of apple juice and Capt'n Morgan smoke for 1-1/2 hours at 225F then throw the meat away and eat the plank. LOL

Actually that idea isn't half bad except for the cedar plank ... Eeeeew!

After a quick search, I found many references to German liver sausage or liverwurst, so it is not to much of a stretch to smoke it covered in bacon. Just might try that myself some time.

That's funny, I feel the same way, I would like the plank better. Like I said
it's my wife that likes liver

LMAO Cheech.

I'm thinking the liver would absorb way too much smoke, making it bitter and...smoky. Experiment and tell us what you think.

I think for anyone to have a favorable opinion, one must first like liver ... which I do! No thanks to my mother that thought you had to cook it until it was suitable for sole replacement on your shoes ....

Along with the bacon topping, slices of sweet onion would be a great addition.
icon_smile.gif

Ya know, this has me thinking that a bit of raw diced liver dropped into a cheezy ABT, say swiss cheese, a bit of a previously smoked fattie and wrapped in bacon with a maraschino cherry under the cap of the jalapeno would be quite nice!

Comments before I hit the store?

Cheers!

The cherry would add color and flavor contrast. Like sweet 'n sour, only different. Sorta like a bit of a flavor "gotcha' type of surprise.

Cheers!

Blackhawk

Yes. I did a post a while back on bacon wrapped chicken livers too. They were great.

Cut it into bite sized pieces and wrap them in bacon like chicken livers or they'll dry out to fast.

You can also slice up a bunch of onions, mushrooms and peppers and spray them with a bit of olive oil, salt pepper to taste and throw the liver on top. Put it in a tin foil pan and smoke it at about 250°F until the liver is cooked though. About 2 to 3 hours. Lay a few strips of bacon on top and when they are crispy the liver is probably done.

I also made a liverwurst sausage awhile back made from pigs liver that was very good but a heck of alot of work. If your interested let me know.

Paul,
The myriad of flavors and colors available to us are limitless. Any further ideas on liver?

Debi,
I also love liver in both traditional and untraditional ways. Gimme Liver or gimme ...er uhhhh...I'll have to work on this
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Cheers!

Well, Paul, we'll see. I will try that recipe, bear in mind it is only a proposed recipe, within the next two weeks.

And I will offer the results with pix and independant comment, good or bad, for the forum to see.

If it flops, I will admit my faux pas.
If it flies we have a new ABT!

In either case we all gain!

Cheers!

Hmmm -

ABTs with ground chicken liver pate' with cream cheese and bacon?

Chopped chicken livers with shredded cabbage and carrots?

Thanks Debi, I showed this to my wife and she said it sounded good. Would you do anything to the liver slice to prepare it and keep it from drying out. marinate or maybe even brining, coating with EVOO, maybe spraying it with something during the smoke. It's been so long since I tasted liver( at least 40yrs) it hard for me to imagine what to flavor it with that would go with it.

Thanks to everybody for their replies, may have even came up with a new use for cherries with ABTs
eek.gif

Yeah, I was thinkin' about smoked pate'... not a real heavy smoke, but something light, like maybe a quick hit of pecan or some flavor of fruit wood.

I happen to love calf liver, never smoked it, but I'd try it. I usually dust it in flour, fry it in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease, chopped onion and garlic, salt and pepper. When done, remove the liver and add some beef broth to the pan, deglaze and thicken into a nice gravy. BTW, you can add whatever you like to the gravy... I have even used some of the packaged gravy mix in a pinch.

Serve with smashed taters!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky