Can you name this meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I took this out of freezer thinking it was pork butt but looks like beef. It marbled like pork butt and very soft. Was getting ready to make green chili stew with some fresh hot hatch peppers. Now not sure what to do?

20200801_134755.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
I sliced a piece in cooked in pan. Its beef and tasted pretty darn good. What to do with it? Almost think would be good cooked mid rare?

I think it a chuck. Think maybe throw in sous vide and do the 30 135 degree think. Found some thick pork sirloin chops I think will work. Threw them in the sous vide at 100. Should that pretty quick.

Maybe could make this work with jcam222 jcam222 Barbacoa

Maybe could make this work with jcam222 jcam222 Barbacoa

Looks like it’s marbles enough to pull or chop so probably so. You can smoke that for a couple hours, out in a pan with the sauce and cover. Braise in smoker for hours until tender.

Sounds like a plan . It's been so hot here , the Anova , and the instant pot got a workout last week . Did part of a brisket flat in the instant pot for tacos . It was so good .

looks like a boneless pork butt with a piece of fat cap left that looks like beef fat.

My 2 cents

Boykjo
It is beef. I was buying those 2 packs of chuck for cheap. I sure that where it came from. Just a wierd looking one. I was really want to try that Barbacoa and one way or a other this going to be it! I do think Bears Sous Vide mid rare would also be great though. See what tomorrow brings. I also keep putting off some home brewing been wanting to do using George Washington recipe. Got to make that happen. These 2 days off just is not enough. To much to do!

I didn't offer an opinion after you said is was beef . I've had pork butt to long in the freezer that looks exactly like that .

I didn't offer an opinion after you said is was beef . I've had pork butt to long in the freezer that looks exactly like that .
A friend told me to fry a piece. After did that was definitely beef and has real good flavor. That green chili stew done and man does it taste good! My buddy grandmother recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky