Can You Buy Carver Hams?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
5erGoGd.jpg
My Sam's Club carries small ready-to-eat Carver hams, which are 3# to 4# boneless rear leg outside muscle ham that is maybe 3" thick dead center. (Boy, is that a mouthful!) Heads up.... they are showing back up in my store for the holidays. These guys are good as-is but very tasty when flavor smoked for 2 or 3 hours. The additional smoke really wakes up the flavor! I do a flavor smoke on ham shanks to use in beans or soups, and get similar flavor results with these Carver hams.
NoDPWGg.jpg

Sounds good , I have seen these before. I will keep an eye out for them for X-mas or just anytime
Did not know they were any better than other hams.
Thanks thirdeye

David
Better is subjective, but sometimes you will find individual or certain muscle groups of a leg or shoulder are better than others, texture or flavorwise. I have some Coppa roast photos I'm going to post shortly in a new thread which is a good example.

I think one of these will look great on a buffet platter and the perfect amount of meat.

Looks good. Saw them in my sam's last week. Gonna pick up a few and do as you suggested!

I'm sure you will notice immediately, but the exposed (long) side is sliced with the grain. So you need to slice from a corner or cut in half to get the correct slicing direction against the grain.

My Sam's Club carries small ready-to-eat Carver hams

We get the same thing from Costco. Possibly a different brand but same concept. They are very, very good and a heck of a value so we keep them on hand at all times. I like to put them in the smoker and cold smoke for 2-3 hours depending on the size. As you said, that really amps up the flavor.

Robert

Reactions: thirdeye
Gonna have to look for them at Sam's here if I ever run out of hams.

Yup we have them every Christmas, we do the same.....flavor smoke for a couple hours then glaze......very Yummy!

I score the fat side with a cross hatch pattern and cut away any tags of meat or fat. Then smoke indirect at 225° until the internal is 140°ish. These are called a rear leg outer muscle ham and the grain direction is a little different on each one I've cooked. I'm not slicing on the long exposed edge, rather at a slight diagonal.
K3KityM.jpg

Our Aldis here had them in their ad. Of course when I went they were out. I'm gonna try again.
Jim

Costco out here carries them, but they are twice the price of a spiral cut ham, so I buy the spiral cut and smoke then glaze them.

Reactions: mneeley490
I tried one of these from Costco last year, and I agree, it would be better twice smoked. But for some reason I didn't have time to do it. My son made short work of it, anyway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky