Can this be done?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iceman6409

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Rochester, NY
So my best friend gave me an old Cabela's Premium Electric Smoker.  Still works for sure.  However after using it a handful of times now I cannot get the grill internal temp above 200F.  Sits right at 200 once it gets there.  I did change out the thermometer that was on the lid with a new one that I know was feeding correct temperatures.  So I see all these post about cooking temps between 225-250 for most meats.  I did smoke a 2 1/2 lb chuckie yesterday and it took somewhere between 6-7 hours to hit 150F internal temp on the chuckie.  Delish by the way.  However is it possible I could do, say a 9lb butt?  I prefer steak cut so internal temp on butt does not have to hit anywheres near 200.  Do you think it could be done regardless of how long?  Also how long might you anticipate?

You may not get thru the danger zone of 40-140 degrees in 4 hours at 200 degrees for food safety. I would investigate why the smoker isn't maintaining a higher temp with the 1600 watt element. Are you running it on a long, or smaller gauge extension cord?  This might cause a voltage drop resulting in lower output of the heating element.

Barry.

As long as you don't inject the meat you should be able to do it. A good internal Temp for slicing would be 180-185. With that said any temp over 145 would be safe to eat. I'd figure 2-1/2 - 3 hours per pound to get to 180.

You may not get thru the danger zone of 40-140 degrees in 4 hours at 200 degrees for food safety. I would investigate why the smoker isn't maintaining a higher temp with the 1600 watt element. Are you running it on a long, or smaller gauge extension cord?  This might cause a voltage drop resulting in lower output of the heating element.

Barry.
Above ONLY applies to Ground, Injected, Boned -Rolled and Tied meat and roasts you punch holes for herbs in. All Intact meat like Butt, Brisket or Chuckies, only the surface is contaminated and the interior is sterile. You could take 24 hours to get a Butt above 140 and it will be perfectly safe...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky