Can I thaw frozen brats and smoke them?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cybball

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 17, 2014
Central Iowa
I made a 25lb batch of brats a month ago and froze them. I used the Hi-Mountain kit and DID use the cure. I have since purchased a Masterbuilt XL propane smoker.
Is it possible to thaw them, smoke them, and refreeze? I won't do that next season, but did this go around as I didn't have a smoker when I made them. They are 75% venison / 25% pork butt.

Thanks for the help!!
Jason

Hello Jason.  I don't see why it won't work so long as you dry the skins properly before smoking.  Hopefully someone with more sausage experience will be along soon but if you don't get a definitive yes or no PM Chef Jimmy and ask him to look at your thread. He is the go to guy for food safety and has always been very helpful.  Link below.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/u/43650/chef-jimmyj

Thanks. My plan would be to thaw them slowly in the fridge, then set the on a rack and let them dry for a bit. I'll smoke them like normal brats would be done, then vac seal them. I planned on smoking them, which is why I elected to use the cure. Hopefully they aren't dry or bad after reheating.

I know I'm new to the forum but definitely not new to smoking. We hunt and make all kinds of game sausages among other meat stuffs. I think it would work providing the sausages were never cooked. It sounds like you made them fresh and then froze. I think if it were me , I would just cook the sausages outside on the grill and do the tuna can with pellets or some other method of applying smoke while cooking to no less than 152 degrees as prescribed.... Maybe just wait till next time do it and use the smoker (good for you on the smoker) and the quality of sausage will be perfect. But if you must smoke these I wouldn't thaw the whole batch, I would do a 5 lb tester....

There is no safety issues to worry about if thawed in the refer.The biggest risk of thawing, smoking and refreezing is when you freeze sausage some of the meats natural moisture comes out. Refreezing means this happens twice. The end result will be a slightly dryer grainy sausage. Not a huge difference but noticeable...JJ

Last edited:
For sure you could hot smoke them... I'm not sure about cold smoking them or smoking them in a manner they're in the "danger" zone for more than the 4 hours.  I know they had cure in them, but am unsure the effectiveness of this after they've been frozen.  Someone else with more experience with this should chime in... but to be safe you may want to just do a hot smoke...

For sure you could hot smoke them... I'm not sure about cold smoking them or smoking them in a manner they're in the "danger" zone for more than the 4 hours.  I know they had cure in them, but am unsure the effectiveness of this after they've been frozen.  Someone else with more experience with this should chime in... but to be safe you may want to just do a hot smoke...
Cure is converted to NO in warm temperatures.Temps below 32° stops the Cure from breaking down. He can still cold smoke them if desired, the Cure will still do it's job...JJ

Last edited:
I plan to hot smoke them. I am going to try a couple whole chickens on Friday and thought I would throw a few packages of them in and cook them. I will post results. Thanks for the advice!

There is no reason why you can not either smoke cook or cold smoke them.Follow advice to thaw slowly. The freeze process will change it a little as previously stated.There will be a difference in taste between " smoke cooking them " or  " cold smoking and finishing  "around 155 degrees internally.If I were doing it I would first do the cold smoke process , let them sit a day then throw them in with the chicken. But that's your choice. Happy SM . Weisswurst.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky