Can I reheat a tri tip just by reverse searing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gooftroop

Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
Hi folks new member- forum has been a great guide for me, many thanks! Looking to smoke two 2.5lb tri tips won’t be eaten until about three hours after smoke is complete. Wondering if I can do the reverse sear just before serving, and what steps I need to take in between- or is there a better plan? Thanks in advance... Bill

Welcome to SMF from Gilbert, AZ Bill, it's a great place to be! I'd put it in a sous vide pot, but then I just sear meat with a torch. Others with more knowledge will chime in. RAY

Smoke, rest in a cooler for three hours, then reverse sear should work. TT is very forgiving. I've done thousands, but never like you are suggesting. When pressed for time, I just grill them like a big steak. Fridge to table in about thirty minutes to an hour depending if you direct heat or direct/indirect heat.

Ray (by a different mother...and father, etc)

if that is how it has got to go, then I would smoke to about 105 to 110 IT, pull off smoker and wrap tight in foil, and place in cooler covered in towels. Then once ready slap on a searing hot grill to get the color and marks on it. Have an Instant Read Thermo ready for when searing as it may have already reached desired IT in the resting period and just need to get color and grill marks, If it has cooled some just get to desired IT.

Reactions: negolien
Smoke, rest in a cooler for three hours, then reverse sear should work. TT is very forgiving. I've done thousands, but never like you are suggesting. When pressed for time, I just grill them like a big steak. Fridge to table in about thirty minutes to an hour depending if you direct heat or direct/indirect heat.
Thanks for the responses. I have done several TT’s without the sear- some served right after resting, some not served until the next day, even- and they have all been excellent. Just wanted to get that good sear this time- problem is I’m doing the smoke at home, then bringing the meat to in laws. It’s only a short drive but dinner would be a couple hours later told my brother-in-law to have his grill ready in case I’d finish it there...

well it must gonna be really good cause it already made the rotator

Reactions: negolien
Searing over very high heat, either over direct heat or in CI after a long rest will work just fine.

It's not really a reverse sear method as you won't get the same results.
That is to say the meat won't sear as fast or well as it does when it's surface temp is already high.

So my recommendations are to smoke to an IT of 100°, and then later sear over as high a temp as possible so as not to overcook.

Last edited:
Searing over very high heat, either over direct heat or in CI after a long rest will work just fine.

It's not really a reverse sear method as you won't get the same results.
That is to say the meat won't sear as fast or well as it does when it's surface temp is already high.

So my recommendations are to smoke to smoke to about an IT of 100°, and then later sear over as high a temp as possible so as not to overcook.
Makes sense. Thanks and thanks to all. Let ya know how it comes out...

Alright- I’m gonna be a pain. I was thinking if I could reduce the time between completing the smoke to searing the TT to let’s say an hour what procedure would you recommend to keep the temp up enough to help the sear? Tent with foil and in the cooler? Something like that?

if that is how it has got to go, then I would smoke to about 105 to 110 IT, pull off smoker and wrap tight in foil, and place in cooler covered in towels. Then once ready slap on a searing hot grill to get the color and marks on it. Have an Instant Read Thermo ready for when searing as it may have already reached desired IT in the resting period and just need to get color and grill marks, If it has cooled some just get to desired IT.
Thanks reckon that’s the plan.

Pulled at 115 wrapped and put in cooler two hours later put in oven at 275 for 30 minutes and seared two minutes a side with herb butter on the flat side of a griddle in a Webber grill at 650. Came out great thanks for the advice...
Pic...

Attachments

• 00377DFE-C207-49D2-8A9F-7DFE093BDE6C.jpeg
    00377DFE-C207-49D2-8A9F-7DFE093BDE6C.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 31
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky