Can I cook brisket medium rare?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BC Buck

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
MO
Last packer I trimmed out had a part of flat about 1/2" thick. I trimmed off weighing about 14 oz. thinking could cook like flank steak for tacos. Now Im wondering if it would be to tuff even sliced thin. What do you guys suggest.

Reactions: JLeonard
I think if you slice anything thin enough it would be tender, but I'm no brisket expert I'm sure some of the pros will jump in.

Reactions: chopsaw
Here's a thread on Chuck pectoral . It's the muscle that sits on top of the brisket . Between the animal and the brisket itself .
It's kind off flat like it texture .

Here's another one messing around with a brisket . Not sure if it was from the flat or not .

Might be an idea in there somewhere . I see now that you have a very small piece . Marinate it for a couple hours . Grill it like flank steak . Slice across the grain on a bias . I bet it's good .

Your NW of me a few miles but not sure what store GFS is. Doing like you suggested and have in Mexican seasoned marinade at 131 temp in SV. Only going to be able to soak about 5 hours. Will see if raining tonight weather grill or using cast iron to sear. Thanks

Your best bet is to grind it to use in sausage or hamburger meat. Conider buying a smaller chuck roast and grind them together.
Trying to SV then sear. This will be the live and learn experience. If not edible will leave with fat for venison grinding next time.

Reactions: tallbm and thirdeye
s but not sure what store GFS is.
Gordons food service . It's a restaurant supply store .
Doing like you suggested and have in Mexican seasoned marinade at 131 temp in SV. Only going to be able to soak about 5 hours. Will see if raining tonight weather grill or using cast iron to sear.
I have done a 1 1/2 pound of brisket flat in the instant pot also . Used it for taco meat . It was awesome . You can certainly make this work . If it ends up to tough , chop it . I've been messing with this for awhile . I grind a lot of briskets and save that thin trim section just like you did . The one I did in the instant pot went high pressure for 50 minutes . Got cubed up , tossed in a skillet with taco spice . It was cooked to medium . What started as a test turned out to be taco supper for me and my Son .

They keep saying rain here too . Nothing yet .

That thin part I slice off but still smoke along with the trimmed packer. It gets done early for sure but no matter,
I then freeze it and eventually use it to make smoked brisket chili.

Reactions: tallbm and BC Buck
Last packer I trimmed out had a part of flat about 1/2" thick. I trimmed off weighing about 14 oz. thinking could cook like flank steak for tacos. Now Im wondering if it would be to tuff even sliced thin. What do you guys suggest.
I personally don't think it will work to try anything with it expecting anything close to flank steak behavior.

If you don't cook the crap out of it, or do something uncommon, it will be tough.

You can pound it with a tenderizing meat hammer (not a stabber tool) and it may have a chance but will be thin like a cubed steak.

You can Sues Vide the crap out of it at lower temp and hope that tenderizes it and then sear it on the grill and hope this works.

You can marinate it actual pineapple juice and hope the enzymes tenderize it up and give it a try.

If wanting tacos I think a better approach would be to smoke it for a little while THEN throw it into a crock pot/instant pot, or put in a pan with broth and tightly cover with foil and throw in the oven to braise it.
The idea is to make it fall apart shredded beef for tacos.

This is not flank steak tacos but will be amazing beef barbacoa taco meat.

If you attempt medium rare flank steak and it is tough as hell (likely the case) then you can still save the meat with the crock pot/instant pot/oven braise option so don't throw it out. Just plan time for a rescue mission :)

I hope this makes sense and gives you some ideas.

Reactions: BC Buck
Two tasty to add im my venison grinding.
Exactly . Good deal . The flavor is awesome , just need to nail down the tenderness . I'm happy you tried it , because you don't know unless you do . I'll be doing another test soon . I'll let you know how it was . Keep me posted if you do another one .
This picture doesn't lie , just needed a bit longer in the SV . Flavor was fantastic .
1678746871863.jpeg

Reactions: BC Buck and tallbm
Exactly . Good deal . The flavor is awesome , just need to nail down the tenderness . I'm happy you tried it , because you don't know unless you do . I'll be doing another test soon . I'll let you know how it was . Keep me posted if you do another one .
This picture doesn't lie , just needed a bit longer in the SV . Flavor was fantastic .
View attachment 660023
What time and temp you trying next?

What time and temp you trying next?
I'll stay with 132 , but increase the time . I went 9 hours , and it was close . I think some of the chewier pieces were from grain direction . Might just go the other way and do 24 hours and see what it's like , or bag a couple separate and pull them at different times .
I just cross cut a packer , and smoked the point end . I have the flat in the freezer , but just might go buy another one . Just checked the website . $3.59 for a packer .

Reactions: BC Buck
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky