Brisket Steak testing .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I've messed with this a couple times before . Came about while cutting up whole packers to grind . Seemed there was always a section that was tender enough to grill , but when I tried that I had to take it to a high temp to make it tender .
So this time I held out a couple 8oz. steaks . Seasoned them up with Kane's steak seasoning . Vac'd and in the fridge overnight . Next day I went into the SV'd at 132 for 9 hours , then onto the grill . Came out pretty good . Really great steak flavor .

Out of the SV after a 9 hour soak at 132 . Dried off .
20230108_162924.jpg
Bachan's is great on beef , and for SV'd meats it also acts as a
browning agent .
20230108_163008.jpg
Soaked them down good .
20230108_163116.jpg
Then onto the pellet grill at 400 . Would of liked it higher ,
but already had some chicken parts cooking .
20230108_163807.jpg
20230108_163812.jpg
Nice edge to edge color and medium rare from the SV .
Good char and great flavor from the Bachan's .
20230108_164209.jpg
This was good . Still just a bit chewy in spots , but longer in the SV would fix that .
Because some of it was completely tender . Disappeared pretty fast .
20230108_164541.jpg
I'm not suggesting buying a whole packer and cut it into steaks .
If you're grinding your own beef from briskets and have a SV machine ,
cull out a couple steaks from the sweet spot and give it a try .

I've messed with this a couple times before . Came about while cutting up whole packers to grind . Seemed there was always a section that was tender enough to grill , but when I tried that I had to take it to a high temp to make it tender .
So this time I held out a couple 8oz. steaks . Seasoned them up with Kane's steak seasoning . Vac'd and in the fridge overnight . Next day I went into the SV'd at 132 for 9 hours , then onto the grill . Came out pretty good . Really great steak flavor .

Out of the SV after a 9 hour soak at 132 . Dried off .
View attachment 655890
Bachan's is great on beef , and for SV'd meats it also acts as a
browning agent .
View attachment 655891
Soaked them down good .
View attachment 655892
Then onto the pellet grill at 400 . Would of liked it higher ,
but already had some chicken parts cooking .
View attachment 655893
View attachment 655894
Nice edge to edge color and medium rare from the SV .
Good char and great flavor from the Bachan's .
View attachment 655896
This was good . Still just a bit chewy in spots , but longer in the SV would fix that .
Because some of it was completely tender . Disappeared pretty fast .
View attachment 655898
I'm not suggesting buying a whole packer and cut it into steaks .
If you're grinding your own beef from briskets and have a SV machine ,
cull out a couple steaks from the sweet spot and give it a try .
Looks good Rich and great idea.

One fine looking cook there Rich! I get brisket to grind for burgers, and I do have a sous vide. I've seen that Bachans on the shelf of one of my local markets but haven't picked a bottle up yet, always leery of something that says Hot and Spicy. RAY

Looks good from here Rich
Thanks Jim . It kind of reminded me of a Chuck eye . Not quite as tender , but flavor was similar . I can also see now that as I sliced through the steak the grain changed . Didn't notice that at the time . Could be my " not as tender " issue .

One fine looking cook there Rich! I get brisket to grind for burgers, and I do have a sous vide.
Thanks bud . Find a tender spot and grab a steak from it .
I've seen that Bachans on the shelf of one of my local markets but haven't picked a bottle up yet, always leery of something that says Hot and Spicy.
They have " Original " and one that's Yuzu or something . I keep all 3 around . The spicy isn't real hot though . I only buy it when it's on sale .
Looks good!
Thanks !

Reactions: sawhorseray
This experimental cook has me thinking to go ahead with a thought I had the other day. Slice brisket and cook on the Weber like I do wings and ribs -screaming hot and fast.

Reactions: chopsaw
This experimental cook has me thinking to go ahead with a thought I had the other day. Slice brisket and cook on the Weber like I do wings and ribs -screaming hot and fast.
That's an idea . Slice and soak in some soy or teriyaki based sauce like the Bachan's . Then hot and fast . I have some sirloin slices soaking in the hot and spicy Bachan's now .
Going on the Blackstone .
Good idea Rich! My thoughts are with Ray's...have a feeling our definition of hot and spicy might not be the same lol!
It's really not to bad compared to the reaper hot links I make . I have to put creamy coleslaw on those so I can eat them . Lol . They're good .

Reactions: motocrash
Looks great Rich! Great idea and excellent finished product. Did it taste more like Brisket or more like Grilled Steak?

Reactions: chopsaw
Can you describe what portion of the brisket these steaks came from, or did you base the tenderness solely on "knife feel" as you were breaking it down to grind?

On a related note I think it was a university in Nebraska that influenced some of the beef associations to remove the flat iron stead (aka top blade steak) from the beef shoulder roasts instead of just grinding the shoulder or selling as roasts. Their logic was to add value to the price of the steer and an early story I recall was that by changing the butchering habits to get the two additional steaks from each steer increased the profit by $10 or so per animal.
wUdleI4.jpg

Can you describe what portion of the brisket these steaks came from
Was the point end for sure , But not just a cross cut . Was probably cross cut then ripped .
or did you base the tenderness solely on "knife feel" as you were breaking it down to grind?
Exactly . Knife feel and the finger poke .
This is from the first time when I only grilled .
You can see how tender they look . Like said above testing out different ways to approach this .
20200921_130516.jpg
20200921_130710.jpg
20200922_101834.jpg
I pulled at different temps starting about 135 . Had to continue cooking indirect , and
looked for probe tender .
20200922_162058.jpg
20200922_162256.jpg
20200922_162303.jpg
Not bad ,,, but still to chewy .
So I cubed / chopped it up with sauce . Put them back on the gas grill .
Came out like burnt ends and really good . You would think brisket or chuck .
20200923_095245.jpg
The above SV method comes out like medium rare steak . I'll try it again , but go longer
in the SV and watch the grain as I slice .
Thanks for asking .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky