Can anyone help me with questions on encapsulated citric acid for my snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nnolannn

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 22, 2020
south texas
1. Does anybody know why ECA works when its only released after the meat reaches 130 degrees?
The cure needs time to work (24 hours) before smoking but, can go on the smoker immediately if ECA is mixed in. Does the bad stuff have opportunity to enter the meat between the time the meat enters the smoker and the ECA is released? How does that work?

2. Some packages of ECM say = 2 - 10 oz. per 100 lbs. (PS Seasoning), some say 16 Oz per 100 lbs. (Walton's).
I've tried Walton's ECA at that 4 oz. per 25 lbs. and it seems a but overpowering over the seasoning. I want the sticks to be safe though. is there something I'm missing?

3. Are there flavors that don't go well with the tangy flavor(sweet, hot, mild, etc.)?

Use at 1 level tsp per pound of meat. do not pack
You can always use less like 1/2t per lb.

Some makers say ECA starts to break open to release between 130-150*

Dont grind ECA. mix in by hand last before stuffing/smoking. When you add ECA will will need to smoke within 2 hours of adding, any longer the capsul will begin to loosen and release the CA which will make the meat mushy and unrecoverable.

You do not have to wait 24 hours for cure to work, resting your mixed meat for a couple hours at room temp is good enough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky