Camp Chef Disappointment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Airsick

Original poster
May 20, 2020
Odessa Fl
Hey, guys. Late last year I bought a Woodwind 24 over the Rec Tec mainly because of the advertised WIFI/Bluetooth and customer service. Well the WIFI won't connect because I have 5G and they say their stuff only connects to 4G. Isn't the whole country going the 5G route?
I switched cell service to Verizon and now the app won't install.
On my third attempted smoke the hot rod wouldn't get hot, not even warm. Unreliability was the reason I took the Pit Boss to the dump! Now that my venting is over and before I call Cabela's to see if they'll take this thing back, Is there a way to convert a dedicated signal extender to 4G so it'll connect to my smoker

Not for sure about 5g to 4g but I believe it's inkbirds therms that only connects to 2.5 not the 5...and yes I'm not very techy and forgot what they are called (big brain fart lol!)

Ryan

Reactions: crippledcracker
Hey, guys. Late last year I bought a Woodwind 24 over the Rec Tec mainly because of the advertised WIFI/Bluetooth and customer service. Well the WIFI won't connect because I have 5G and they say their stuff only connects to 4G. Isn't the whole country going the 5G route?
I switched cell service to Verizon and now the app won't install.
On my third attempted smoke the hot rod wouldn't get hot, not even warm. Unreliability was the reason I took the Pit Boss to the dump! Now that my venting is over and before I call Cabela's to see if they'll take this thing back, Is there a way to convert a dedicated signal extender to 4G so it'll connect to my smoker
Yes older 4g devices can't connect to 5g. You need to have a dual band router that has 2.5 and 5G.

i dont think its the G level its with wifi band as noted above. try turning off the 5GHZ on the router and see if you can connect with the 2.5GHZ. if that works then its good to turn the 5 GHZ back on for other devices.

If they will return it - I bet you will like the rec teq.

I have a netgear dual band access point in my barn where I use my Camp Chef. It works fine. I had Verizon long before I had the Camp Chef, and didn't have a bit of trouble installing the app, so I don't know what the deal there is.

Yes older 4g devices can't connect to 5g. You need to have a dual band router that has 2.5 and 5G.
I'm in Tampa area also and have Frontier. My router they installed 4 years ago is a 2336_5G. Can I get a 4G signal extender and plug it in near the grill?

I have a netgear dual band access point in my barn where I use my Camp Chef. It works fine. I had Verizon long before I had the Camp Chef, and didn't have a bit of trouble installing the app, so I don't know what the deal there is.
I had no probs with T Mobile installing the app, but we just changed to Verizon and the app will download, but won't install. The girl at Camp Chef said their app doesn't like Verizon.

i dont think its the G level its with wifi band as noted above. try turning off the 5GHZ on the router and see if you can connect with the 2.5GHZ. if that works then its good to turn the 5 GHZ back on for other devices.

Ya, GHZ... that's what I was trying to think of or say!

Ryan

I don't see any way to change it from 2.4/5G to anything else.

Might be helpful to know what router you're working with, but you still need the app on your phone to use it, unless you have an old t mobile phone to connect to the grill.

The cooker manual:
1. Download the Camp Chef APP from the Apple APP store or Android Play Store. 2. Turn the Grill controller on using the main power switch. 3. Open the Camp Chef APP and follow the setup instructions for connecting the grill to your home 2.4 GHz WiFi network. WARNING - Do NOT leave this appliance unattended while in use. The user must remain in the immediate area of the product and have a clear view of the product at all times during operation.

Nowhere does it say anything about 5g. Disable the 5g portion of the wifi connection on your phone. You should be able to connect to the 2.4 radio of your home router. Your phone needs to be connected to the router on the 2.4 frequency. Do you have the app downloaded on your phone? You need that. Follow the instructions on the phone app to connect.

" 99% of devices which mention 2.4G WiFi are simply pointing out the obvious: they installed the least costly WiFi radio chip, which also has the greatest range (2.4G WiFi) If there is no 2.4G WiFi, then there is nothing for the radio to communicate with and it cannot function. There can be all the Bluetooth, AM/FM radio, Ham Radio, 5G WiFi in the world. No 2.4G WiFi means "no" "

OP, I had trouble connecting to my home wifi to begin with. I solved the problem by buying a TP-Link N300 2.4ghz extender from Amazon and placing it between my wifi enabled modem and my CC PG24SG. It's worked fine ever since. The N300 is only about $20 so it was a cheap cure. I don't know if it solve your problem but it's cheap to try and you can return it if it doesn't work.

Reactions: Airsick
I'll give ya dedication. I ran a CAT5 cable from the house to my pole barn just so I could have WIFI for my grill! Well, not really, I ran the cable out there for internet because I occasionally work on equipment for other farmers in the area and often need to look up parts or service information on whatever they brung me to fix. Cellular signals don't go through metal pole barns too well and I got tired of having to go outside every time I needed a spec or whatever. Wifi in the barn also allows me to not miss phone calls (WIFI calling) when I'm in the barn, and, as an added benefit, I got connectivity when I got my pellet grill.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I'll give ya dedication. I ran a CAT5 cable from the house to my pole barn just so I could have WIFI for my grill! Well, not really, I ran the cable out there for internet because I occasionally work on equipment for other farmers in the area and often need to look up parts or service information on whatever they brung me to fix. Cellular signals don't go through metal pole barns too well and I got tired of having to go outside every time I needed a spec or whatever. Wifi in the barn also allows me to not miss phone calls (WIFI calling) when I'm in the barn, and, as an added benefit, I got connectivity when I got my pellet grill.
I screwed up when they ran new fiber optic lines to us...should've ran one to the shop...I miss watching bugs bunny! :emoji_blush:
Actually I'm lucky can still use my phone in the shop.

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
I screwed up when they ran new fiber optic lines to us...should've ran one to the shop...I miss watching bugs bunny! :emoji_blush:
Actually I'm lucky can still use my phone in the shop.
Usually, if it's before 8PM eastern, and I'm posting on here, it's from my barn PC.

You will have the same connectivity issue with just about any pellet grill you get. It’s the router you have. Figure that out first before swapping grills.

I don't see any way to change it from 2.4/5G to anything else.
two was to change/turn on and off the wifi networks 2.4 and 5GHZ.
1. if you have an app the you can manage your wifi router with. or
2. the website you use to manage your wifi router.

Both should have an option (check box) to turn on and off either GHZ network. If you dont have either, maybe tell us the make and model? But you will need either the app or website that manages your wifi. The manufacturers website should have these for ya if you dont have them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky