Calling all Smoke Hollow owners!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"
 Rather than add coasters, to my Smoke Hollow 44, I simply built an outdoor "man-cave" this photo is from early February , since then, I've expanded the work space, added some storage pace, and a rocking chair.... I can smoke in all kinds of weather, and be comfy, while I'm at it...

Reactions: browndownsmoke
"  Rather than add coasters, to my Smoke Hollow 44, I simply built an outdoor "man-cave" this photo is from early February , since then, I've expanded the work space, added some storage pace, and a rocking chair.... I can smoke in all kinds of weather, and be comfy, while I'm at it...

I'm going to build something similar at the end of the summer. Would you mind sharing some more pictures of your set up?

ok...
I started with a good plan.... but laziness and carelessness got the better of me....I had an old paver patio, that had not been installed correctly....in the process of making it level, I discovered it needed to remove what the previous owner had done... and do it correctly

My PLAN was to take 8ft 2x4's and 12ft 2x4s and make a template, for the cover, then after the ground was stripped away, set up my template, dig the post holes, and build from the subgrade up...In my rush... I mistakenly grabbed 108in 2x4s rather than 15 footers.... so I adjusted my footprint to 108 " x 72"dug the postholes, plumbed the uprights poured concrete, and started to haul in blocks, and "crush and run" for the base.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, I had the bright idea to rum power out to the shelter... bought some conduit, and romax, dug a trench, ran the wire through the codnuit, and buried it
Thankfully... I'm retired so I was able to work at my own pace, and didn't need to rush

Previous owner built a paver patio..... but had feet of sand only... no stone base, no wonder the old patio was sinking into the dirt

First and second course of block, with "crush & run" etting laid down, and tamped

Last row of block in place, opening in block so I can wheel stone into place. Wife liked what she saw.... and asked that I expand it...

Posts set.... base, and dry screenings in place, and compacted Pavers going in

from the other end, there is an extra course of block on this end to raise it

Pavers on both sections,time to start on the shelter. You can see the electrical out let, on the middle post

2x6 running across the top.....almost made a Pergola....but here is another screw up. foreground is a 2x8 beam, and the back is a 2x6 beam... I should have used a 2x12 across the front.... at this point, I have a 2" fall in 6 feet....water DOES run off...ut I should have used a 2x12, which would have given me 6" fall in 6 feet

yes... there IS a slope

seeing how things fit

From February to October... I had a tarp providing shelter....but it didn't really work

I was able to sheath the roof in plywood, and wrap weather proof around the wood the keep it intact

Using the left over shingles to roof the shelter

extended the sides to fit my smoke hollow 44, and my grill

took ome spare wood, and built some storage/set up space

Grill fits in nicely to the space

I ran 2x6 as rafters, and nailed in 2x4 joists.... got a solar powered shed light from Northern Tool

yes.... I over engineered it... joists, AND gussets 

If I could stiffen it up... I did so

from the garden

So there you have....
In hindsight, it would have been faster to hire someone... and possibly cheaper (I wouldn't have backed up and added features), but I was in NO rush... and I was working for myself... if I got tired... I halted

I hope this helps.... if you have any questions, PM me, and I'll try to answer

Frank

Reactions: xblume
 Has anybody insulated there smoke hollow or master built smoker?
Yes, I have insulated my #41170B a few years ago. I took it all apart and put 1 in. thick flexible Mineral Wool sheets cut to size in between all the double walls, then sealed all of it from the food by placing 2",3", or 4" high temp foil tape along every seam, and the bottom area. I insulated the top, and three sides, and the door too, all fully. I  used high temp silicone and tape around the thermometer as well, since the thermometer pushes through the insulation. Very pleased with results. The box stays cool, and I can smoke in cold weather which was the reason for doing the insulation, after all. Got it all at www.mcmaster.com.

Dave

Last edited:
I have one of the smoke hollow 4 in 1 grills that i got from sams club. Works pretty well. The only mod i have done is bought some high temp gasket that is made for the green egg. And put it under the lid of the fire box and the smoker lid. That was a worth while mod as it now holds temp much better and the gasket is only around 15 bucks.

I had a similar problem..I added a 20 PSIG regualtor and have the temp dialed in very well now. See my post on Smoke Hollow temperature solved.

I had a similar problem..I added a 20 PSIG regualtor and have the temp dialed in very well now. See my post on Smoke Hollow temperature solved.
I had gotten one of those also, but found it to be to sensitive and ended up getting a 10 psi one and run about 2.5 psi on it,

Last edited:
I recently purchased one and so far it works fine.  I don't understand why you cannot use pellets and I may try to blend 50/50. The instructions for assembly was great and they even supplied spare hardware  I'm looking forward to my first brisket in it.

I recently purchased one and so far it works fine.  I don't understand why you cannot use pellets and I may try to blend 50/50. The instructions for assembly was great and they even supplied spare hardware  I'm looking forward to my first brisket in it.

I have ran pellets in mine that I had left over, they do work but I did find that I did catch them on fire if I gave them a little too much heat, I've got to imagine that's because of the massive surface area of all the pallets.
PS
when you do catch them on fire it does put a heavy soot into the air of the smoker which I don't think I would want on my meat, LOL

I've read the posts about a lot of people having trouble with the temp. I don't want to cause an issue but, if you have the propane smoker, they usually have 2 burners. We have the 44" pro series. All we did was turn off one burner. It holds the temp at about 160 with the control knob turned down to the lowest setting and open the vent on the top about half way. The trays help to circulate the smoke on its way out the top. We've done this for the last three smokings we have done and it works out fairly well. We only had a couple of burned sausages when wanted to get a higher temp and turned it up without moving the sausages on the bottom rack.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I have insulated my #41170B a few years ago. I took it all apart and put 1 in. thick flexible Mineral Wool sheets cut to size in between all the double walls, then sealed all of it from the food by placing 2",3", or 4" high temp foil tape along every seam, and the bottom area. I insulated the top, and three sides, and the door too, all fully. I  used high temp silicone and tape around the thermometer as well, since the thermometer pushes through the insulation. Very pleased with results. The box stays cool, and I can smoke in cold weather which was the reason for doing the insulation, after all. Got it all at www.mcmaster.com.

Dave

Check out this monster. Would be a shame if you bought one and it didn't work good. 3000 square inch 10 cu ft.

Hey guys, I’m having trouble getting smoke going... my Pro 44 worked ok with wet chips but wanted something that would last longer.. went with Pellets.. then tried the mail box modification... it really put out some beautiful smoke until I turned on the gas... the smoke got sucked right down to the gas and disappeared.., if I opened the door it would start working like it should, till I closed the door.. do I need to add some holes on the sides towards the top to get it rolling again... anyone every had this problem with there gas smokers...

I too have a Pro 44 which I really like. Got tired of adding wood chips or putting out the fire. I have been using an AMPT oval smoker with really good results. Been lighting it with a Wagner heat gun due to lack of a torch. A full load usually lasts 4-5 hours and if I expand it out to the max of 18" it"ll go 8-10 hours. I think they are definitely worth the price.

Hey guys, I’m having trouble getting smoke going... my Pro 44 worked ok with wet chips but wanted something that would last longer.. went with Pellets.. then tried the mail box modification... it really put out some beautiful smoke until I turned on the gas... the smoke got sucked right down to the gas and disappeared.., if I opened the door it would start working like it should, till I closed the door.. do I need to add some holes on the sides towards the top to get it rolling again... anyone every had this problem with there gas smokers...
No problems with mine. It sounds like you have all of the vents closed as evidenced when it works when the door is open. You are in effect opening a "big" vent.

I too have a Pro 44 which I really like. Got tired of adding wood chips or putting out the fire. I have been using an AMPT oval smoker with really good results. Been lighting it with a Wagner heat gun due to lack of a torch. A full load usually lasts 4-5 hours and if I expand it out to the max of 18" it"ll go 8-10 hours. I think they are definitely worth the price.
No problems with mine. It sounds like you have all of the vents closed as evidenced when it works when the door is open. You are in effect opening a "big" vent.
I too have the AMPT’s but not the tube but the flat one... I have tried my vents open on the bottom and chimney wide open...and closed part way ... smoke still dives down as soon as I close the door... where do you put yours in your smoker?

I'm usually only running one burner so I put the smoker tube on the opposite side next to I/2 open side vent. Have run with both burners on low and have not had issues. Always have my pellets above flame height. Are you preheating your S/H to create an updraft? After getting things up temp I adjust side vents to get to my sweet spot. Side vents are usually backed down to about a 1/4 "by then. Best of luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky