Thanksgiving Cajun Smoked Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Had my wife thaw a turkey for me to smoke this weekend, and today was the day to play with the smoker.

Take one turkey and spatchcock.
Pat dry and rub well with a 1:3 baking powder/salt mix, then air dry in the fridge for 24 hrs.
NeThnhx.jpg

Pull it out and inject it with Cajun Butter, then oil it and generously cover with my Cajun poultry rub.
cTRb0jd.jpg

2XY7qB0.jpg

Then into a 350°-375° smoker with a mix of hickory and cherry.
One probe each in the breast and thigh, cooking the breast to 165°, the thighs went to 197° waiting on the breast, but the injections kept the thighs juicy and pretty tender.
irokEwj.jpg

This was one tasty bird, and juicy too.
zuQlUyq.jpg

No rubbery skin here and more than just a bite through, this had a crisp Pop! as you bit it, not crispy crunchy, but danged nice.
Baking Powder, Air Dried and High Heat!
MyA5bGP.jpg

gnzWFEP.jpg

The Finale
tjoWkBq.jpg

After the main meal I was shredding hand fulls of meat and rolling it in the cajun spiced juices.
Oh man, talk about intense flavor, I think I entered food nirvana for a short period.

I also made a side and dessert.

Salsa Verde Taters

Preheat oven to 450°

2 bags Hashbrown Taters
1 large Onion, chopped medium
2 7oz cans of Salsa Verde
1 28oz can of Green Enchilada sauce
1T granulated garlic

Dump it all in to a 9x13 casserole dish and mix well
Bake at 450° till hot and bubbling throughout, approx 1.5 hours

yFj0Fpu.jpg

Smoked Apple Roses
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-apple-roses.278257/#post-1860298

Last edited:
Wow, that looks good! I've done at least one spatchcocked turkey the past few years. Never thought of doing one with cajun spices. Well done! I usually make a mixture of butter (irish grassfed stuff and some poultry seasoning, with celery salt, dehydrated onion and garlic) and push it under the beast skin. I don't brine mine. My lovely wifey makes me hold the salt levels down. It gets good reviews, but I'm trying one of these this year. Grats for an awesome cook.

Looking good chile, I love me some smoked turkey.

Point for sure.

Chris
Thank you Chris, appreciate the point.
It doesn't get much better than that!
Great looking meal & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al
Thanks Al, compliments appreciated.
As always, an honor to ride the Carousel.

Reactions: AllenRR
Turkey looks awesome Chile! That skin looks like perfection!

Mike
Appreciate it Mike, it came out better than normal.
Looks great nice meal.

Warren
Thank you Warren.
Wow, that looks good! I've done at least one spatchcocked turkey the past few years. Never thought of doing one with cajun spices. Well done! I usually make a mixture of butter (irish grassfed stuff and some poultry seasoning, with celery salt, dehydrated onion and garlic) and push it under the beast skin. I don't brine mine. My lovely wifey makes me hold the salt levels down. It gets good reviews, but I'm trying one of these this year. Grats for an awesome cook.
Thanks Allen, it was one of my better birds.
Cajun fried, smoked, grilled all great ways to cook any bird.
Cajun spiced butter or broth works for injection, do try it and I bet ya love it.

Reactions: AllenRR
That looks awesome! It reminds me of the time I did a wild turkey in my smoker and it was incredible. I can smell it from here.

HOT DAMN Chile!!!! I don’t know how I missed this thread! I love me some smoked turkey! We usually do the skin on bone in breast here. I have a sriracha/butter combo that’s always worked well for us. But tell me more about this cornstarch deal you have me curious!

Fine job friend! I’d eat that once a week, and I’m gonna try them taters!

Scott

HOT DAMN Chile!!!! I don’t know how I missed this thread! I love me some smoked turkey! We usually do the skin on bone in breast here. I have a sriracha/butter combo that’s always worked well for us. But tell me more about this cornstarch deal you have me curious!

Fine job friend! I’d eat that once a week, and I’m gonna try them taters!

Scott
Aw heck, too kind Scott... Thanks.
Yes, do try them taters.

Sorry I'm so late & Thanks to CR for bumping it up for the Bear to see!!

Looks Great, John!!:)
Nice Color!
Like,

Bear

The skin on that looks really great! What is the purpose of the baking powder? About how long did it take for the bird to come up to temp at the 350-375 range?

The skin on that looks really great! What is the purpose of the baking powder? About how long did it take for the bird to come up to temp at the 350-375 range?
Thank you.
Approx 3.5hrs
The baking powder raises the skin's pH levels so the proteins break down more efficiently. The baking powder also mixes with the juices, creating carbon dioxide bubbles that increase the skin's surface area, giving it a crunchier texture when the bird starts to cook. You can use the same trick for any poultry.
Note: These reactions take time, 12-24hrs.
Which just happens to be great for letting that skin get nice and dry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky