Cajun microwave???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikey nc, Dec 23, 2015.

1. When I lived Louisiana, they had a cooker call that stainless steel with wood or charcoal tray at top that you pulled out to add more,what type of cooking do ya call this

2. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That would be pig roaster...suitable for whole hog, goat, sheep/lamb.

Eric

3. No, I know how to cook whole hog in the ground or on BBQ pit with gas or wood,this is the size of a dormitorie refrigerator with two racks for ducks,rabbits, squirrels ect. With heat source on top in slide tray

4. Smoke is correct. The Cajun Microwave is a roaster. They are basically like a large outdoor dutch oven. They come in sizes from large enough for a decent size pig to small enough for turkey.

Smoke it up
    William

5. Can you smoke with that type device, not as a roaster, but as a smoker

6. I have never seen one that could be used for smoking. They are not designed to circulate air inside the cooking chamber.

7. Thanks, was wondering if I built one,using fan out bottom do y'all think it will work??

8. I am sure it could be made to work. You would have to introduce a smoke source also.

Smoke it up
    William

9. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

La Caja China is a commercial made Cajun microwave. Somewhere on the net there is a guy that rigged a smoke generator to pump smoke into the box while cooking. So yes it can be done.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  10. Yes,was thinking heat an smoke coming from top,an using type fan,bath(fartfan) and regulating draft, pulling heat(smoke) down and out

11. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

12. I've been welding for yrs. Was just wondering if it can work

13. Is it to much of a problem, getting the right amount of heat,smoke, and maintaing heat that way ???

14. lotharw

lotharw Newbie

I have a La Caja China and have mounted a Smoke Pistol on it and it works great.  I don't use it as just a smoker but while roasting  pig, I add smoke to enhance the flavour.