Butterball Turkey Breast Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isellstuff

Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Turkey.jpeg

I think I have seen threads about this similar Turkey Breast before but here goes.

Looking at cooking this on my Pitboss. Its about 3 lbs, what is a good temp to cook it at? 325 and to an internal temp of 160 degrees? What is a simple rub that would be good on it?

Reactions: JLeonard
I've done them at 275 to 160 it. I used a store bought chicken seasoning. Don't recall the name off the top of my head. They come out very good

I did one of those not long ago at 275, (hot as my MES will go) rubbed it w SPOG and the basted it w oil every so often to help prevent rubber skin.

Reactions: isellstuff
You could give it a rub with butter and lemon juice

Lemon juice - umm I've never heard of that. Sounds interesting Steve. Can you taste any of the lemon?

Chris

Lemon juice - umm I've never heard of that. Sounds interesting Steve. Can you taste any of the lemon?

Chris
It gives the skin a very slight tang. Which really compliments the salt and sugar in the rub. I use 1/2 stick unsalted butter with a tsp of lemon juice. If you have had lemon pepper on chicken. This is the same idea. But not as strong.

Reactions: gmc2003
It gives the skin a very slight tang. Which really compliments the salt and sugar in the rub. I use 1/2 stick unsalted butter with a tsp of lemon juice. If you have had lemon pepper on chicken. This is the same idea. But not as strong.

Appreciate the quick response Steve. I'm gonna give this a try. My wife and I like lemon pepper but don't always have it on hand.

Chris

I did something similar to that in a crockpot recipe for chicken. Except it was with Italian blend seasoning and it was pretty good.

Reactions: Steve H
I've done them before. I really like Meatchurch Honey rub.
Jim

If you have a SV circulator, that is the way to go. We do them for 8 hours at 132. Incredibly tender & juicy. If you want some smoke flavor smoke it to about 125 IT, then bag it with butter & lemon slices, we also use Montreal chicken seasoning. Then SV it for 5 hours at 132. The gravy packet that comes with it is also real good!
Al

If you have a SV circulator, that is the way to go. We do them for 8 hours at 132. Incredibly tender & juicy. If you want some smoke flavor smoke it to about 125 IT, then bag it with butter & lemon slices, we also use Montreal chicken seasoning. Then SV it for 5 hours at 132. The gravy packet that comes with it is also real good!
Al
That sounds good Al. Another for the list. I was planning on curing the next one but can still use this method.

Thanks for all the advice, used the spog as the rub, probably a little less pepper next time but was very juicy and good. Is that a smoke ring on the edges of the meat?
1800DFF1-8F36-43B4-BEC8-37F596F0F531.jpeg
091EF195-045D-44DC-BEF6-10332E13B21D.jpeg
E9861E3A-14B6-4B43-A6E7-9F5C89B4ADB3.jpeg

Al
I going to give your cooking method a try for turkey breast. I plan on curing it first. Whole turkeys so cheap right now but really not that big of fan of turkey and whole one just to much. I love the house smoked turkey breast at Market Street Deli. I am pretty sure they cure them and going to try to duplicate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky