Butterball Turkey Breast Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

isellstuff

Original poster
Nov 4, 2019
Turkey.jpeg

I think I have seen threads about this similar Turkey Breast before but here goes.

Looking at cooking this on my Pitboss. Its about 3 lbs, what is a good temp to cook it at? 325 and to an internal temp of 160 degrees? What is a simple rub that would be good on it?

Reactions: JLeonard
I've done them at 275 to 160 it. I used a store bought chicken seasoning. Don't recall the name off the top of my head. They come out very good

I did one of those not long ago at 275, (hot as my MES will go) rubbed it w SPOG and the basted it w oil every so often to help prevent rubber skin.

Reactions: isellstuff
You could give it a rub with butter and lemon juice

Lemon juice - umm I've never heard of that. Sounds interesting Steve. Can you taste any of the lemon?

Chris

Lemon juice - umm I've never heard of that. Sounds interesting Steve. Can you taste any of the lemon?

Chris
It gives the skin a very slight tang. Which really compliments the salt and sugar in the rub. I use 1/2 stick unsalted butter with a tsp of lemon juice. If you have had lemon pepper on chicken. This is the same idea. But not as strong.

Reactions: gmc2003
It gives the skin a very slight tang. Which really compliments the salt and sugar in the rub. I use 1/2 stick unsalted butter with a tsp of lemon juice. If you have had lemon pepper on chicken. This is the same idea. But not as strong.

Appreciate the quick response Steve. I'm gonna give this a try. My wife and I like lemon pepper but don't always have it on hand.

Chris

I did something similar to that in a crockpot recipe for chicken. Except it was with Italian blend seasoning and it was pretty good.

Reactions: Steve H
I've done them before. I really like Meatchurch Honey rub.
Jim

If you have a SV circulator, that is the way to go. We do them for 8 hours at 132. Incredibly tender & juicy. If you want some smoke flavor smoke it to about 125 IT, then bag it with butter & lemon slices, we also use Montreal chicken seasoning. Then SV it for 5 hours at 132. The gravy packet that comes with it is also real good!
Al

If you have a SV circulator, that is the way to go. We do them for 8 hours at 132. Incredibly tender & juicy. If you want some smoke flavor smoke it to about 125 IT, then bag it with butter & lemon slices, we also use Montreal chicken seasoning. Then SV it for 5 hours at 132. The gravy packet that comes with it is also real good!
Al
That sounds good Al. Another for the list. I was planning on curing the next one but can still use this method.

Thanks for all the advice, used the spog as the rub, probably a little less pepper next time but was very juicy and good. Is that a smoke ring on the edges of the meat?
1800DFF1-8F36-43B4-BEC8-37F596F0F531.jpeg
091EF195-045D-44DC-BEF6-10332E13B21D.jpeg
E9861E3A-14B6-4B43-A6E7-9F5C89B4ADB3.jpeg

Al
I going to give your cooking method a try for turkey breast. I plan on curing it first. Whole turkeys so cheap right now but really not that big of fan of turkey and whole one just to much. I love the house smoked turkey breast at Market Street Deli. I am pretty sure they cure them and going to try to duplicate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky