• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Butter vs EVOO

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 13, 2007
Hey Smokers,

Has anyone used butter instead of EVOO or mustard as a binding element for your rub? I have used butter with foil but never from the beginning. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.

fpnmf

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 19, 2010
I dont use anything..Just SPOG and it sticks just fine..

When it comes out of the fridge wrapped at cook time it has melted in.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Oct 20, 2010
I use clarified butter on my Prime Rib Roasts. I have also used EVOO as well as clarified butter just to try each and I'm with fpnmf, I just put the rub/seasonings on the meat - no evoo or butter.

rich-

Meat Mopper
Joined Feb 14, 2011
What is Clarified Butter?  Never heard of it before

Thanks Rich

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
I have tried mustard - evoo- butter and clarified butter. I have gone back to nothing like Craig and Alesia 

roller

Smoking Guru
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 10, 2010
I do not use anything either but if I had to use one of those 2 dang man it would be Butter !

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

I'm easy    MEAT  +   RUB   +    FIRE   =  Greta Food

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
There are people that have used all the techniques described above. For instance the application of Rub directly on the meat allows the salt and sugar to draw out moisture then as the moisture is absorbed back into the meat the Water soluble flavors go to. They theory of using Oil or Butter is that Fat soluble flavors can by brought out of the rub and enhance the meat and the fat helps with a crispy bark or skin on poultry. I have never used any type of fat and usually alternate between rubbing the meat directly and using Mustard. Depends on my mood and if we have mustard in the house...JJ

whtplainssmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 9, 2011
What is the reason behind using mustard?  Is it just to add another flavor profile to the meat?  I've never tried the mustard as base for the rub method. Usually just go with rub applied directly to meat.

dewetha

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 21, 2011
maybe its' just me, but i don't find EVO to be a real binding agent. what i find is that when I don't foil, EVO seam to protect the rib from drying out and most cases, I don't have to mop for the first 1-3 hrs.

just to add a wrinkle here :) I saw a vid that said use apple cider vinegar because it opens the pours of the meat and lets the run really get in there. i'm still testing that out. rub down with Apple cider vinegar, coat with a sugarless rub, sit for 30 to 60 mins then coat with brown sugar(for a crust).

i have a problem. i can't leave well enough alone :) I'm looking to get some separation in the bite profile sweet above the crust and heat under. 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.