Butter vs EVOO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

va_connoisseur

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
DC Metro - Northern Virginia
Hey Smokers,

Has anyone used butter instead of EVOO or mustard as a binding element for your rub? I have used butter with foil but never from the beginning. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.

I dont use anything..Just SPOG and it sticks just fine..

When it comes out of the fridge wrapped at cook time it has melted in.

I have tried mustard - evoo- butter and clarified butter. I have gone back to nothing like Craig and Alesia 

icon_cool.gif

I'm easy    MEAT  +   RUB   +    FIRE   =  Greta Food

There are people that have used all the techniques described above. For instance the application of Rub directly on the meat allows the salt and sugar to draw out moisture then as the moisture is absorbed back into the meat the Water soluble flavors go to. They theory of using Oil or Butter is that Fat soluble flavors can by brought out of the rub and enhance the meat and the fat helps with a crispy bark or skin on poultry. I have never used any type of fat and usually alternate between rubbing the meat directly and using Mustard. Depends on my mood and if we have mustard in the house...JJ

What is the reason behind using mustard?  Is it just to add another flavor profile to the meat?  I've never tried the mustard as base for the rub method. Usually just go with rub applied directly to meat.

maybe its' just me, but i don't find EVO to be a real binding agent. what i find is that when I don't foil, EVO seam to protect the rib from drying out and most cases, I don't have to mop for the first 1-3 hrs.

just to add a wrinkle here :) I saw a vid that said use apple cider vinegar because it opens the pours of the meat and lets the run really get in there. i'm still testing that out. rub down with Apple cider vinegar, coat with a sugarless rub, sit for 30 to 60 mins then coat with brown sugar(for a crust).

i have a problem. i can't leave well enough alone :) I'm looking to get some separation in the bite profile sweet above the crust and heat under. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky