Butt injection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
I usually use 2 cups apple juice and one cup apple cider vinegar.. but I think I'm going to try pineapple juice and white vinegar.. thoughts???

Try Tony C's butter & jalapeno marinade/injection!

It's real good, and Walmart usually carries it.

Al

Injecting is fine and pretty much any liquid works. Just remember that injecting can introduce bacteria and you need to make sure the heat is continuous at least to an IT of 140+.JJ

Reactions: Burner76 and SonnyE
You had me at butt injection.

I have not tried injecting a shoulder....might have to give this some thought. Maybe mustard and vinegar with a little pineapple juice.

Hmmmm

Be careful with the vinegar and pineapple juice.. if you inject and put it back in the fridge for a couple of hours, the acidity will break down the meat and you will end up with mushy pork..
If you do it right before it hits the smoker, then it will be a winning combo..

Be careful with the vinegar and pineapple juice.. if you inject and put it back in the fridge for a couple of hours, the acidity will break down the meat and you will end up with mushy pork..
If you do it right before it hits the smoker, then it will be a winning combo..

Good call, thanks for the input.

What lemans said...pineapple juice and vinegar can make for mushy pork due to the acidity.

I've been doing butts for years with straight apple juice and always had great results but I recently tried the cherry dr pepper method after reading about it for so long.

The results were out of this world...everyone loved it. A little sweeter than the apple juice but outstanding flavor.

Same mushy concern applies to using soda (or pop as well call it here). It's very acidic and can lead to breakdown. They way I see it is that while I could inject or I could just add when pulling. That said, interesting thing about soda as most contains phosphorus/phosphate a well known competition injection ingredient and I think this would lead a different effect than just adding at the pull.

Reactions: Burner76
The Hormel butts I buy are "enhanced," basically pre-brined with a salt solution. I believe Smithfield does the same thing. Injecting a Hormel butt is too much if there is any salt in the injection. I haven't injected since I started buying the Hormel butts.

The Hormel butts I buy are "enhanced," basically pre-brined with a salt solution. I believe Smithfield does the same thing. Injecting a Hormel butt is too much if there is any salt in the injection. I haven't injected since I started buying the Hormel butts.

Interesting I use Hormel butts too but haven't noticed a too salty taste with my injection. I'll keep an eye out and do some experimenting to see if can tell the difference.

Very true about the soda being acidic as well. The one I did with the cherry dr pepper was not mushy one bit so for a Hawaiian pulled pork or just a sweeter finished product pineapple juice might just work. It sounds good! Try it out and let us know how it works!

I'm still trying to figure out what I could inject a butt/shoulder with to get a jerk pulled pork. Only thing I can think of is to rub down the outside with walkerwood seasoning but its not really injectable.

Never been over there but huge jerk fan. From the books etc I have, jerk pork is made by breaking the butt down into smaller strips for better marination (same as char siu) and then served in chunks. Never pulled. You could always thin the Walkerswood down with something (rum?:D) enough to inject. I/we need to get some jerk threads going...

OOPS forgot to ask... Dr Pepper Cherry. Could you tell/taste that it was soda injected?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky