Butchering Spare Ribs Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dinozoot

Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
I bought spare ribs from Sams club instead of babybacks. After watching a youtube vid on butchering ribs, I cut off that flap on the back and then cut off the brisket from the main rack and then pulled off the membrane. My question is what is best thing to do with the brisket with the little bones in it? Do you just smoke it along with the ribs or are you better off chopping it up and using it for something else like maybe chili?

in beans, in chili...what ever...he smokes them for only 1.5 hrs or so and they finish cooking in the beans later then

I have never ever trimmed mine and I have been happy with them. That being said, I didn't much know any better or know what I was missing. I will trim up the next batch I do for comparison purposes.

The trimmings are good in beans, or Lone Steer BBQ sauce found on this site.

Good luck!!
Ron

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky