Butcher sausage...how do they do it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rohfan2112

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
West Babylon, NY
I was browsing in a new marketplace type store and saw some nice Italian sweet sausage. Pieces of meat and fat were clearly visible. On this forum we like to mix it well so the meat and fat binds and gets "fuzzy" looking so it doesn't "fat out". The store sausage just looked so much more appetizing. It didn't look like it was mixed very well at all. Any sausage I've ever gotten from the butcher didn't "fat out" in the frying pan. How do the pros do it without all that mixing?

Reactions: johnnyb54
How do the pros do it without all that mixing?
Pros are also using binders more than likely. Phosphates, carrot fiber powder, Soy powder, powdered egg whites, etc... all of these help the meat stick together and retain moisture in the sausages. They do mix, but with larger grind, you will still see the chunks of meat and fat.

Reactions: rohfan2112
That would be particle definition. Keep the meat cold (28-29 F), grind once at 13mm, add your salt and mix 2-3min , then add the rest of your seasoning mix, and run through your grinder at 4-5mm. The less you work the meat the better. You want enough protein extraction to "stick" the meat together, but not too much that it ruins your particle definition and you get fat smear. A lot of your large producers probably use some phosphates etc, but you can achieve a really good sausage with out all that. For my italian sausages I use around 22% fat, and a 4mm final grind and I only use fennel, red pepper flakes, white pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika (for color) and have no issues with crumbling or fat out.

That would be particle definition. Keep the meat cold (28-29 F), grind once at 13mm, add your salt and mix 2-3min , then add the rest of your seasoning mix, and run through your grinder at 4-5mm. The less you work the meat the better. You want enough protein extraction to "stick" the meat together, but not too much that it ruins your particle definition and you get fat smear. A lot of your large producers probably use some phosphates etc, but you can achieve a really good sausage with out all that. For my italian sausages I use around 22% fat, and a 4mm final grind and I only use fennel, red pepper flakes, white pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika (for color) and have no issues with crumbling or fat out.
Do you partially freeze the mixture before the 2nd pass through the grinder? Also...no salt in your recipe?

Do you partially freeze the mixture before the 2nd pass through the grinder? Also...no salt in your recipe?

whoops sorry. Forgot to put down salt, but yes there is. Gotta have it to get the protein extraction.

And I wouldn’t refreeze, unless it’s going to be a while in between grinds. One thing you can do, if the recipe your following calls for an extension/water, use ice instead of water. This will help keep your temperature down. The perfect ice to use for this is Chick-Fil-A ice. You can buy it by the bag from them. It’s crushed ice so it mixes in and grinds nicely.

I’d also add this is for a course ground sausage with particle definition. If you’re going to do smoked sausage, kielbasa, hot dogs, etc you probably want more of an emulsion so this is when you mix the hell out of it or use a food processor.

I am actually surprised how good my particle definition is as I mix the HECK out of it. I think most hobbyists are not paying close enough attention to temps and think that is the main problem. That said, great ideas posted already and would suggest a medium plate single grind and looking into binders.

old time Pols and Czechs also salt their cut meat cubes with all the salt the formula calls for from one to three days before grinding, and finishing the project. The myosin starts being extracted before anything else -- cure added also, if it is to be smoked (of course). Grind, spice, mix, stuff, smoke, ... yada yada, etc., and so forth.....r

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky