Butcher paper vs aluminum foil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dantij

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 21, 2018
Frankfort, IL
I'm planning on doing a brisket this weekend on my Lang and was curious about butcher paper. What are the pros and cons of using paper vs foil?

Checkout Aaron Franklin's youtube vid on naked, paper, and foil wrapped briskets, he explains it way better than I could without typing all day ;) this is the short verrsion there's a longer version out there.

I am not very well versed in this subject but from what I have typically heard is that it is really a matter of taste if you want to use, foil, paper, naked. There are some videos on youtube that do side by side comparison of these. Personally, I like foil as I think it is easier to work with and I can't accidentally set it on fire.

Reactions: banderson7474
The paper is suppose to allow your meat to breathe, and some smoke will get through the paper. Once wrapped in foil, your meat is done for adding smoke flavor. May as well just take it in to the oven to finish it.

I use butcher paper. Otherwise the bark gets to wet for my taste. BTW I see you're using a Lang. I bought a 36 Hybrid Deluxe about 6 months ago....so nice to cook on.

Reactions: daveomak and Dantij
I use butcher paper. Otherwise the bark gets to wet for my taste. BTW I see you're using a Lang. I bought a 36 Hybrid Deluxe about 6 months ago....so nice to cook on.
Had my 48 delivered last October. Loving the results!!

I don't always wrap but when I do....I prefer peach butcher paper. The peach isn't usually waxed (you don't want the waxed kind) and can be had on Amazon pretty inexpensive. I don't care for the results of foil, too mushy/soggy for my preference. Butcher paper allows for air to circulate, still allowing for some decent bark. I hear some of the Pro's talking about how everyone at competitions uses foil, I think they are just stuck in their ways.

Reactions: JC in GB
I don't always wrap but when I do....I prefer peach butcher paper. The peach isn't usually waxed (you don't want the waxed kind) and can be had on Amazon pretty inexpensive. I don't care for the results of foil, too mushy/soggy for my preference. Butcher paper allows for air to circulate, still allowing for some decent bark. I hear some of the Pro's talking about how everyone at competitions uses foil, I think they are just stuck in their ways.

A very good point you made there. I actually like my bark a little on the softer side so that is very likely why I prefer foil. I used to do my ribs naked but switched to foil wrapped after watching a Henry Soo video. I was quite pleased with the results.

Same here, I don't like it thick and tough but a little on the softer side, just not mushy. I've typically wrapped ribs but my family was kind enough to get me a Silverbac for Christmas and the fb fan club says not to wrap at all, i tried no wrap on some baby backs about a month ago and they fantastic with just a slight layer of bark

Reactions: JC in GB
Foiling the brisket will tend to steam the meat. Takes out half the flavor. I've been using peach butcher paper for several years with excellent results. So long as you're not cooking over direct flame, it won't catch on fire either

Reactions: daveomak
I use a disposable pan with a small wire rack inside when I foil. Reason one being that it's quicker - so the meat is back on the smoker quicker(less recovery time), and second the meat is not sitting in the juices getting soggy. I also prefer a lighter bark. Once you hit the stall your not getting allot more smoke infusion into the meat anyway.

Chris

Reactions: daveomak
is 18 inch paper the size to get or is 24 inch better for wrapping?

24 is better for wrapping. I have a big roll of 18 and wish I had the 24. With the 18, I have to use multiple pieces to get full coverage on a brisket or a 10 lb butt. When it's gone, I'll buy the 24.
I have the 24 inch being delivered today, then started to rethink it. thanks

24 is better for wrapping. I have a big roll of 18 and wish I had the 24. With the 18, I have to use multiple pieces to get full coverage on a brisket or a 10 lb butt. When it's gone, I'll buy the 24.
I have the 24 inch being delivered today, then started to rethink it. thanks

I finally bought unwaxed butcher paper but I haven't used it yet b/c I like to put meats in a pan and collect the juices which is a lot easier to do when using foil. Although I plan on trying it soon, so far it's just been used for eating crab legs and shrimp on :emoji_wink:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky