1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Butcher paper vs aluminum foil

Discussion in 'Wood Smokers' started by Dantij, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Dantij

Dantij Fire Starter

I'm planning on doing a brisket this weekend on my Lang and was curious about butcher paper. What are the pros and cons of using paper vs foil?

2. WaterRat

WaterRat Smoking Fanatic

Checkout Aaron Franklin's youtube vid on naked, paper, and foil wrapped briskets, he explains it way better than I could without typing all day ;) this is the short verrsion there's a longer version out there.

motolife313 and JC in GB like this.
  3. JC in GB

JC in GB Meat Mopper

I am not very well versed in this subject but from what I have typically heard is that it is really a matter of taste if you want to use, foil, paper, naked. There are some videos on youtube that do side by side comparison of these. Personally, I like foil as I think it is easier to work with and I can't accidentally set it on fire.

banderson7474 likes this.
  4. ristau5741

ristau5741 Meat Mopper

The paper is suppose to allow your meat to breathe, and some smoke will get through the paper. Once wrapped in foil, your meat is done for adding smoke flavor. May as well just take it in to the oven to finish it.

JC in GB and daveomak like this.
  5. Nole4L

Nole4L Fire Starter

I use butcher paper. Otherwise the bark gets to wet for my taste. BTW I see you're using a Lang. I bought a 36 Hybrid Deluxe about 6 months ago....so nice to cook on.

daveomak and Dantij like this.
  6. PolishDeli

PolishDeli Fire Starter

7. Dantij

Dantij Fire Starter

Had my 48 delivered last October. Loving the results!!

8. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Purchase unwaxed butcher paper.....
    Parchment does not breathe... It is coated with high temp silicone...
    ..... click on this link ......
    Butcher Paper for smoking meats

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    JC in GB and ameskimo1 like this.
  9. I don't always wrap but when I do....I prefer peach butcher paper. The peach isn't usually waxed (you don't want the waxed kind) and can be had on Amazon pretty inexpensive. I don't care for the results of foil, too mushy/soggy for my preference. Butcher paper allows for air to circulate, still allowing for some decent bark. I hear some of the Pro's talking about how everyone at competitions uses foil, I think they are just stuck in their ways.

JC in GB likes this.
  10. texomakid

texomakid Smoking Fanatic

I try not to crutch very often but when I do I use foil. I get my smoke in the meat before I wrap and I get the bark after I take it off. Foil is just too easy.

JC in GB likes this.
  11. JC in GB

JC in GB Meat Mopper

A very good point you made there. I actually like my bark a little on the softer side so that is very likely why I prefer foil. I used to do my ribs naked but switched to foil wrapped after watching a Henry Soo video. I was quite pleased with the results.

12. Same here, I don't like it thick and tough but a little on the softer side, just not mushy. I've typically wrapped ribs but my family was kind enough to get me a Silverbac for Christmas and the fb fan club says not to wrap at all, i tried no wrap on some baby backs about a month ago and they fantastic with just a slight layer of bark

JC in GB likes this.
  13. rexster314

rexster314 Smoking Fanatic

Foiling the brisket will tend to steam the meat. Takes out half the flavor. I've been using peach butcher paper for several years with excellent results. So long as you're not cooking over direct flame, it won't catch on fire either

daveomak likes this.
  14. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I use a disposable pan with a small wire rack inside when I foil. Reason one being that it's quicker - so the meat is back on the smoker quicker(less recovery time), and second the meat is not sitting in the juices getting soggy. I also prefer a lighter bark. Once you hit the stall your not getting allot more smoke infusion into the meat anyway.

Chris

daveomak likes this.
  15. hardhead

hardhead Fire Starter

Butcher paper gets me the best results

daveomak likes this.
  16. flatbroke

flatbroke Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

is 18 inch paper the size to get or is 24 inch better for wrapping?

17. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

24 is better for wrapping. I have a big roll of 18 and wish I had the 24. With the 18, I have to use multiple pieces to get full coverage on a brisket or a 10 lb butt. When it's gone, I'll buy the 24.

flatbroke likes this.
  18. flatbroke

I have the 24 inch being delivered today, then started to rethink it. thanks

19. flatbroke

I have the 24 inch being delivered today, then started to rethink it. thanks

20. I finally bought unwaxed butcher paper but I haven't used it yet b/c I like to put meats in a pan and collect the juices which is a lot easier to do when using foil. Although I plan on trying it soon, so far it's just been used for eating crab legs and shrimp on :emoji_wink: